Typical inpatient training for FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's considered the "average" amount of inpatient training in FM residencies?

My fiance is looking at a program that's 22 weeks of inpatient in PGY1, 22 weeks inpatient + 4 weeks ICU in PGY2, and 16 weeks of inpatient in PGY3. Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like the upper limit of inpatient training for FM.

Members don't see this ad.

That’s a heavy inpatient schedule.
Especially for a PGY-3.

That's comparable to my program, though we do 2-4+ weeks, depending which year you look at. If you have any questions send me a message.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's additional OB (PGY1) and peds (PGY1-3) rotations

I did a transitional year with 16 weeks of adult inpatient + 4 weeks of peds + 4 weeks of OB. The FM cohorts at my TY did 8 weeks of adult in patient + 4 weeks peds + 4 weeks of nights + 8 weeks of OB PGY1, 12 weeks of inpatient + 4 weeks of ICU +4 weeks of OB PGY2, and 8 weeks of adult in patient + 4 weeks of nights in PGY3.

I thought their schedule was pretty fair for inpatient training for FM but I have no idea what is the considered average for FM

What's considered the "average" amount of inpatient training in FM residencies?

My fiance is looking at a program that's 22 weeks of inpatient in PGY1, 22 weeks inpatient + 4 weeks ICU in PGY2, and 16 weeks of inpatient in PGY3. Correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like the upper limit of inpatient training for FM.
just do IM

If that is just strictly inpatient family medicine service days, that is really a lot. If that includes days and nights, that's still a lot, but not outrageous (5.5 mos PGY1 and PGY2 and 4 mos PGY3). If that's including all inpatient experiences, i.e. Inpatient Peds, Inpatient OB/L&D and ICU time then its about in line with many other programs.

I would also want to know what inpatient entails in that program not just the strict time. I have seen some programs where they're on inpatient, but its 8-5, or they are on inpatient 4-5 days a week, but they are in clinic 1 day a week, so basically rather than being on inpatient 5.5 mos they are effectively on inpatient 4.5 mos and clinic 1 mos, but just in a ridiculous way that is more stressful in my opinion. Also, I've seen some FM services where there might be 2-3 residents covering a service of <8 pts or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Our Residency Adult Inpatient
- PGY1: 13 weeks Daytime, 6 weeks Night Float, 4 weeks ICU
- PGY2: 10 weeks Daytime, 3 weeks Night Float
- PGY3: 11 weeks Daytime, 3 weeks Night Float

This was in addition to the Hospital ER rotations, speciality rotations, surgery, Pediatrics rotations done in hospial.