typical heme/onc volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumixam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about applying to heme/onc next year. One thing I have noticed though is that my local heme/onc shop is BUSY. They can see more than 20 patients per day some days. This is in contrast to other subspecialty clinics that I have rotated through - they all seem to have a pretty relaxed pace in comparison. Is this typical? If it is, does this explain the income discrepancy? If a rheumatologist busted ass like they do, would the income be comparable? Or, could one operate a relatively slow heme/onc clinic for moderate income?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about applying to heme/onc next year. One thing I have noticed though is that my local heme/onc shop is BUSY. They can see more than 20 patients per day some days. This is in contrast to other subspecialty clinics that I have rotated through - they all seem to have a pretty relaxed pace in comparison. Is this typical? If it is, does this explain the income discrepancy? If a rheumatologist busted ass like they do, would the income be comparable? Or, could one operate a relatively slow heme/onc clinic for moderate income?

TIA
It depends. Anybody in any specialty can bust ass and make dollars. Some practices will limit the number of physicians so that they will be busier and make more, others will have a more relaxed atmosphere with increased staffing. I am the most productive physician in my group (by a large margin) and I have partners who are half as busy as I am. I'm perfectly happy with my work, they seem happy with theirs. I get paid much better than they do so it all comes out in the wash.

Short answer is that yes, you can find a practice that will suit your preferences.

Reactions: 1 user
Or, could one operate a relatively slow heme/onc clinic for moderate income?
I have two letters for you my friend:

VA

Edit: I should add that I love the VA department I work with and have a ton of respect for them. They do great work, it’s just clearly a lifestyle over pay type job which isn’t a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user