This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushi18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I contacted 10 different MD admissions offices about preferences for types of clinical experience (paid/volunteer/shadowing), and found it really helpful. Since I’ve learned so much from reading these forums, I thought others might benefit from this information as well. If I get in touch with more schools I will update the tallies.
  • 8/10 schools said they do not care whether experience is paid or unpaid
  • 3/10 said active experience is preferred (which I believe to be code for non-shadowing/actually doing something for the patients)
  • 2/10 said long-term experience is preferred (This wasn’t my initial question but I think it’s helpful to note that they emphasized this)
  • 1/10 said that some unpaid experience is preferred
  • 1/10 said paid experience is preferred
Admittedly this is a small sample but it’s nice to hear it from the horse’s mouth. Feel free to add to this thread if you’ve heard things from other schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Would you be willing to reveal the schools associated with these responses?

Would you be willing to reveal the schools associated with these responses?
I wouldn't want to raise the ire of the schools I contacted haha, but they're weighted toward top 20 and california schools. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDNers,

I contacted 10 different MD admissions offices about preferences for types of clinical experience (paid/volunteer/shadowing), and found it really helpful. Since I’ve learned so much from reading these forums, I thought others might benefit from this information as well. If I get in touch with more schools I will update the tallies.
  • 3/10 said active experience is preferred (which I believe to be code for non-shadowing/actually doing something for the patients)
  • 2/10 said long-term experience is preferred (This wasn’t my initial question but I think it’s helpful to note that they emphasized this)
Admittedly this is a small sample but it’s nice to hear it from the horse’s mouth. Feel free to add to this thread if you’ve heard things from other schools!
What qualifies as “long term”?

Hi SDNers,

Thanks for sharing this information! Great stuff.