This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAG101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I will be attending SCO starting this coming fall and I had a question for those of you who are already in optometry colleges or have graduated from them! The question is: what type of bag did you use/would recommend for optometry school, a traditional backpack or a messenger bag? I will be in the market for a new bag for school so I was just eager to see what all of you recommend or that works best! Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

I had both. I mostly used the backpack towards the end because of the laptop, books, and study materials I had. It's better for your back to wear a proper fitting backpack. Everything you need for clinic, you'll purchase. So, the bag really is just for class.

I'm a 2nd year at SCO and the majority of people use backpacks. You won't be taking any textbooks to class, so just have something that'll carry your laptop. Most people use OneNote and don't hand-write their notes so you don't have to lug around a bunch of binders and notebooks. Welcome to the SCO family!

Backpack. It's safer, more durable, more waterproof, more ergo friendly, and you'll find it way more useful when travelling on planes and other future travels. The most important part is the ergo friendly because you don't want to have back problems in your 30s. Invest in a nice backpack that can also hold an umbrella/waterbottle in a side holder.