(TX resident) Chances- 2nd time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueFisher

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Im curious what others think.

Asian male
I have around 3.86 GPA with 3.81 SGPA.
28 MCAT (7 on verbal) (took it three times).
One publication with another coming, Presentations oral and poster (5+), honors thesis
Several awards (10+),
held leaderships roles for the past 3 years in two different organizations on campus
another leadership role in a local organization for 4 years
260+ hrs of clinical volunteering in a span of 3 years
60 +hrs of shadowing
100+ hrs of nonclinical volunteering

As stated, I am a TX resident. What do you think my chances are getting into any program either md or do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
28 MCAT (7 on verbal) (took it three times).
What were your other scores? This may be what held you back from an acceptance the first time. The rest of your app looks astounding so I'm highly inclined to think it was your MCAT scores.

What were your other scores? This may be what held you back from an acceptance the first time. The rest of your app looks astounding so I'm highly inclined to think it was your MCAT scores.

The first time I got 27 with a 6 in verbal then I retook and got a 21 with a 4 in verbal ( cant explain what happened here). That 21 was the score medicals schools last saw. I retook the MCAT later and got the 28

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, probably the MCAT. Did you/are you going to apply to OOS DO's this coming cycle?

It would be worth another attempt at the Texas MD schools and there will be 2 more opening in 2016. However, you should also be applying to DO schools. Apply to at least 10 in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

The first time I got 27 with a 6 in verbal then I retook and got a 21 with a 4 in verbal ( cant explain what happened here). That 21 was the score medicals schools last saw. I retook the MCAT later and got the 28
That's your problem. Any at an school that averages them they'll see a 25 and that's nearly auto-reject for MD schools. Even MD schools that take the highest 28 you're on the low side. The 7 verbal is also a negative. Your best bet is adding 10+ OOS DO schools along with reapplying to all the Texas schools including TCOM, and submitting your app on the first day possible.

You're metrics will be fine for DO school. To improve your chances you should shadow a DO to get a LOR (most of the DO schools require a LOR), do a more community service/work with the underserved, and apply early.