Two questions about medical residency programs in the US ?

Nxmeless

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1- Who accredits medical residency programs (at this moment) ?
2- What is the importance of enrolling in an accredited program ? I mean , what happens if a person enrolls in an unaccredited residency program ?

As far as i am concerned, the ACGME and the AOA are the ones who accredit medical residency programs and enrolling in an unaccredited residency program will make me ineligible to apply for licensure and board certification. BUT i dont know if that is true. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Completing a non-accredited residency allows you to be licensed but not board-certified. This may be a problem for you since more and more hospitals, employers, and payers will only support board-eligible/certified physicians. It could also be an issue for fellowships since most accredited fellowships require that you completed an accredited residency.

Completing a non-accredited residency allows you to be licensed but not board-certified. This may be a problem for you since more and more hospitals, employers, and payers will only support board-eligible/certified physicians. It could also be an issue for fellowships since most accredited fellowships require that you completed an accredited residency.
Okay thank you and can you please answer the 1st question too ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should function in your life plans as if there is no such thing as a non-accredited program. Substitute the word "pumpkin" for "non-accredited residency program" to drown it out as a possibility for your training if you find yourself tempted. The only time you should be considering any sort of non-accredited program is as supplementary training to expand your skills/knowledge (sort of like a mini-fellowship) after you complete a primary accredited residency program, but even then you'd need a good reason