Two new optometry schools anounced. What oversupply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imemily

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taken from

http://www.revoptom.com/content/d/news_review/i/1378/c/26554/

[Why don't optometrists do something about this? Who is in charge of accreditation?]

Two New Optometry Schools Announced

If they indeed open, it means a total of 22 optometry schools in North America.

John Murphy, Managing Editor

2/8/2011

news-1lg.gif

The Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences plans to open a new optometry school in 2012.
Two new schools of optometry are now in the works, one in Massachusetts and one in Virginia.

• Massachusetts. After a decade of considering it, the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) has begun the process of initiating an optometry school. The working name is the MCPHS School of Optometry, with its first class scheduled to begin in the fall of 2012, according to Peggy Achenbach, O.D., who is helping to put the school on its feet.

Class size will start in the range of 50 to 100 students. No faculty members have been hired yet.

“MCPHS is an institution with a prominent history specializing in medical careers,” Dr. Achenbach says. “The college provides traditional and accelerated programs of study that combine in-depth knowledge with hands-on clinical practice.” Current advanced-level education includes pharmacy (Pharm.D.) and degrees in medical imaging, nursing, occupational and physical therapy, among others.

The curriculum for the optometry school will include interdisciplinary study in both didactic and clinical courses, in which optometry students will work side-by-side with pharmacy and other students, Dr. Achenbach says.

The curriculum will also emphasize business courses to help equip students with the business skills to enter private practice right after graduation—especially in those areas where eye care is most needed. “We want to maintain sight of what is best for the profession and what is best for public health,” she says. “Training ‘business practitioners’ will help them to survive and thrive in underserved areas.”

Why open yet another school of optometry—and one so close to New England College of Optometry (NECO)? One reason, as indicated above, is to serve the public health in underserved areas—an important mission of the school, Dr. Achenbach says.

She also believes that the demand for eye care services will grow with the aging of baby boomers and the epidemic increase of diabetes in the United States.

Also, because it will be located in Worcester, the new optometry school will offer potential students a “small town” alternative to the other schools in the Northeast—NECO, SUNY and

Pennsylvania College of Optometry—which are based in large cities, she says.

• Virginia. The Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority (VCEDA) recently approved a $5.6 million loan for the development the Appalachian College of Optometry in Buchanan County, located in the westernmost part of the state. (As of 2006, Buchanan County was the poorest county in Virginia and one of the 100 poorest counties in the United States, when ranked by median household income, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.)

The Appalachian College of Optometry would be located in the vicinity of the Appalachian School of Law and the more recently developed Appalachian College of Pharmacy. The first class of optometry students is expected to begin in August 2013.

“Buchanan County has developed a very unique economic development strategy that is centered, in part, around the development of private graduate schools in the county as a means of creating direct and indirect jobs and other economic impacts,” says VCEDA executive director Jonathan Belcher.

Members don't see this ad.

Another Optometry school in a state where ODs can't treat glaucoma? Very useful.

Why would you want a "small-town" learning environment? I imagine a smaller population severely chops down the variety of patients you will see. Well...we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think teaching business courses is a mistake. Only supports views that we are eye glass sellers. I think that should be bagged for sure. No medical school or dental school has classes on business stuff.

I think teaching business courses is a mistake. Only supports views that we are eye glass sellers. I think that should be bagged for sure. No medical school or dental school has classes on business stuff.

There's a lot more to "business courses" and practice management than selling eyeglasses. You should know that.

Medical school probably SHOULD have more of those classes to providers can see how they are getting horribly raped by non-providers who HAVE had lots of "business courses."

I agree with KHE,
I think professional schools need more business approach...especially optometrists

since once we go out there, we'll need to know what to look for in contracts, business law, if we start our own practice, we'll need to know how to pay our staff etc

then there is always how to market yourself...

one might know everything about optometry, but unless someone knows how to run their practice...they may end up being unfruitful

business is good no matter what profession you are going into

totally disagree..I went to a chiropractic CME when I was dating a chiropractor and their CME is basically how to maximize profits and how putting a skeleton in the window is shown to bring in more business. There was 0% science. Is that what you want in medical education or optometric education? I cringe a little at our CME when they have a rep come to discuss a retinal imaging device and how it can pick up more things that are "billable". Sounds like a dangerous slippery slope to me.

I live within a few minutes of Buchanan County. Trust me, NO ONE is going to want to spend four years there. Grundy, which is the part of the county that I believe it will be located in, is one of the most embarrassing regions of the country I've ever been to. Poor roads, terrible economy, and, for the most part, really disgusting people. It is a place still ridden with racism, bigotry, and prescription pill addiction.

I obviously can't state any opinions on the school, but the area itself is miserable.

totally disagree..I went to a chiropractic CME when I was dating a chiropractor and their CME is basically how to maximize profits and how putting a skeleton in the window is shown to bring in more business. There was 0% science. Is that what you want in medical education or optometric education? I cringe a little at our CME when they have a rep come to discuss a retinal imaging device and how it can pick up more things that are "billable". Sounds like a dangerous slippery slope to me.

Nothing wrong with making money ;)

There's a lot more to "business courses" and practice management than selling eyeglasses. You should know that.

Medical school probably SHOULD have more of those classes to providers can see how they are getting horribly raped by non-providers who HAVE had lots of "business courses."

I think it's essential for O.D. colleges to offer courses concerned with the business aspects of practice. I agree such classes should not be so much about advertising or manipulation of coding, but optometry indeed is a business-centered profession: unless your ambition is to be employed as an O.D. (and I'm not knocking you, if it is), you'll need to understand the rudiments of starting and maintaining a practice. It isn't just billing/coding/insurance (though you'll have to understand all that, as well), but things so simple, yet so intricate, as literally how to get money, how to hire, how to schedule, etc., should be taught as part of the curriculum you're hoping will prepare you for the vocation you've chosen.

is it the role of health education to train doctors in that? I think there can be clubs in optometry school that can be associated with business education etc.. just like advocacy but I think it is inappropriate to have classes having to do with running a business. Also, out of resources allocated for our degree should more time be spent on that as opposed to medical education? When we practice Optometry or Ophthalmology, yes it may be a business but i think that schools shouldnt get involved with that. "Business" of medicine and optometry is at the end of the day maximizing profits no? What else could it be about? Learning how to efficiently run a practice, what is needed, how to bill properly etc.. is something that at the end of the day helps to maximize the bottom line. Plus billing changes so fast year to year that it is hard for schools to keep up. How much billing does the average professor at a optometry school do compared to a private practice doc? This is a tough philosophical question to answer. I think medical schools have it right in keeping business out of it.

is it the role of health education to train doctors in that? I think there can be clubs in optometry school that can be associated with business education etc.. just like advocacy but I think it is inappropriate to have classes having to do with running a business. Also, out of resources allocated for our degree should more time be spent on that as opposed to medical education? When we practice Optometry or Ophthalmology, yes it may be a business but i think that schools shouldnt get involved with that. "Business" of medicine and optometry is at the end of the day maximizing profits no? What else could it be about? Learning how to efficiently run a practice, what is needed, how to bill properly etc.. is something that at the end of the day helps to maximize the bottom line. Plus billing changes so fast year to year that it is hard for schools to keep up. How much billing does the average professor at a optometry school do compared to a private practice doc? This is a tough philosophical question to answer. I think medical schools have it right in keeping business out of it.

As I said, in my view, yes, it is the part of a school's duty to expose its students to the realities of trying to run a practice. Of course, medical education will be the backbone of the curriculum, but to throw into the world a class of O.D.s who can diagnose the crap out of every pathology, but don't know an I.C.D. from an H.M.O., is simply irresponsible.

Students pay out the ass for their education; they shouldn't need to to take a C.E. course or "join a club" as soon as they're handed their degree, before they begin to understand how the hell they actually can earn a living.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reality of it now is that optometry is a commercial profession. We can hide behind the guise of prescribing and treatment of ocular diseases, but the majority of patients are coming in with zero symptoms and zero signs, and just looking to get their glasses and contact lenses.

Business acumen (or lack there of) is what newly licensed optometrists complain about. For you to get paid you need to generate sales. Unfortunate, but the truth.

This is a tough philosophical question to answer. I think medical schools have it right in keeping business out of it.

And again....I think that should change.

Economics and "business" are a reality in all of medicine now. That may or may not be MORE true in optometry but it's there.

Again, I think there needs to be MORE business courses taught in both optometry AND medical schools so that practitioners understand the system and how they're getting raped by people who HAVE had lots of "business" courses.

I understand what you're saying and in theory, it would be nice if doctors and student doctors could be above that sort of fray and not worrying about the slightly distasteful money aspect of our profession.

I don't think we can do that anymore. It's a disservice to ourselves and ultimately to our patients. If we can't make a living, patients can't access us. What good does that do anyone?

I simply can't agree with this idea of more schools. This is a copy of a posting I made on a different thread.

The notion that aging patients are going to suddenly cause a sharp rise in demand for optometric services is, in my opinion a complete non-starter.

All of these aging patients have been presbyopic for 20 years. They have been in the optometric pipeline for years. If anything, I think demand for optometric services would go relatively DOWN as they reach absolute presbyopia. Yes, they'll develop cataracts and macular degeneration but ODs don't treat those things. So at best, we might scrounge up a couple of office visits out of them because while there might be an overall increase in the demand for eye care in general, what evidence do we have that it will be optometrists who are the ones to meet this demand? Where in your mind is this increase in demand for optometric services from an aging population coming from?

I also disagree with the notion of "underserved areas." Certainly there are areas that are over saturated like most large urban metros but can anyone point to a single area of the country where one can not get a routine eye exam from an optometrist within two days and within an hour's drive?

I read over the weekend a review of optometry article in which a potential new school in Boston was discussed. The "dean" or whatever this woman's title who was the lead on this thing mentioned many times that they planned to target underserved areas. Again...I would ask where exactly are these underserved areas and how are you going to ensure that any students you admit will actually practice in these theoretically underserved areas?

Technology and health care economics really has allowed the same number of ODs to see a larger number of patients in the same amount of time. Gone are the days of the kindly old eye doctor seeing 8 patients a day and doing a 21 point OEP exam on every patient for an hour before selling you a $500 pair of glasses that he crimped by hand in the back.

The number of schools should be drastically cut. Certainly not expanded.

good points. Not sure what the right answer is here...On one hand I agree with you..wish I knew a lot more coming out of school on the other hand...that chiropractic CME was quite nauseating...felt like I was at a used car salesman convention or that scene with Alec Baldwin from Glen Gary Glan Ross where he tells the other salesman "ABC...Always be closing..." Just dated myself here....

Last edited:
Can we sticky this thread? We already have 10000 threads about this, maybe if we sticky this one everyone can just come here to discuss it.

I agree with jkain. I'm from VA too and that area is absolutely terrible.

Also, we have an excellent practice management course at SCO. We've learned a lot the past two semesters about the business aspect of practice. :thumbup:

I definitely do not foresee any "cutting" of schools, but rather a still, steady addition of optometry programs to health professional schools.

I agree there are too many as there is.. but what can we do practically to stop this from continuing on in the future?

I definitely do not foresee any "cutting" of schools, but rather a still, steady addition of optometry programs to health professional schools.

I agree there are too many as there is.. but what can we do practically to stop this from continuing on in the future?

Do what the ADA did. Convince the AOA to do the same.

We need new leadership. I have no idea whats wrong with the AOA, but if that isn't fixed, I would expect the difference between opticians and optometrist to be minimal.

Is the Massachusetss school taking applications for 2012? I will be applying for 2012, so how should I for this school? It's not on optomcas yet.

2 more Optometry schools ? From 16 to 20 to a potential 22.
Ask yourself why are you paying 1600 a year more or less to be a member of th AOA ad your state and local association? Is this what they are doing for you?
Our profession is all over the place. Look at board certification and the 2 boards. What do you think other healthcare professions think of us when they see this division among us?

I know the students get tired of some of us ODs beating the oversupply drum. It has risen to the number one problem facing the profession. I might be vocal about it but there is a silent horde of practicing ODs thinking the same thing. I hear it more and more at CE meetings and other OD gatherings.

I strongly recommend that prospective students, students, and practicing ODs let the AOA, state associations, and school administrations know that they are concerned with the increasing oversupply.

Ok, I've taken a few more whacks. :beat:

IndianaOD & hello07,

Are you members of the AOA/state association?

What can we, as entering optometry students, do about the oversupply problem? What can we do as practicing optometrists?

IndianaOD & hello07,

Are you members of the AOA/state association?

Yes, I have been in frequent contact voicing my concerns. I served as a delegate at my state association and talked to the IOA CEO multiple times. He admitted hearing more complaints lately as well. I have even had several correspondences with the dean of the OD school I graduated from. Even he said he had no idea of the problems the profession was facing before just recently becoming dean.

It takes more than just myself and a few others voicing our concerns. People need to quit sitting on the sidelines and get involved and passionate about their chosen career. It is hurting all of us, guys and gals.

The only thing that kept me in the AOA this year was they finally stated they were going to fund a new manpower study. Of course this will be far too late to affect the glut of new schools.

Yes, I have been in frequent contact voicing my concerns. I served as a delegate at my state association and talked to the IOA CEO multiple times. He admitted hearing more complaints lately as well. I have even had several correspondences with the dean of the OD school I graduated from. Even he said he had no idea of the problems the profession was facing before just recently becoming dean.

It takes more than just myself and a few others voicing our concerns. People need to quit sitting on the sidelines and get involved and passionate about their chosen career. It is hurting all of us, guys and gals.

The only thing that kept me in the AOA this year was they finally stated they were going to fund a new manpower study. Of course this will be far too late to affect the glut of new schools.

So, why do you continue to support the AOA (through member dues etc)?

If oversupply is a big threat, and the respective associations are doing nothing about it, then what is the point of supporting them?

Does the AOA have the power to shut down schools, like the ADA?

So, why do you continue to support the AOA (through member dues etc)?

If oversupply is a big threat, and the respective associations are doing nothing about it, then what is the point of supporting them?

Does the AOA have the power to shut down schools, like the ADA?

I believe the AOA has some influence but cannot shut down a school. What they could do is work on significantly increasing the school accreditation standards. For example, higher minimum patient encounters per student, higher numbers of staff PhDs required, minimum amounts of research, minimum numbers of residency positions or required residencies etc. I think the allopathic medical schools (MD) have a requirement for a high financial endowment ($50 million or something) that keeps a bunch of little schools from opening up. I could be wrong but it is something like that. Most of the new medical schools (and unfortunately OD schools) are private osteopathic institutions.

Yes, also NBEO can make the boards harder.

I can't agree with that.

Accreditation standards of schools should be set based on what is required to produce a competent OD. Patient numers, faculty etc. etc. It shouldn't be artificially adjusted to control supply.

I also disagree with the notion of making boards harder.

As far as the NBEO making the test harder, the NBEO exam is a test of minimum competency. It's designed to measure the minimum competency required to allow an OD to practice and not be a danger to the public. It's not supposed to be a device to control supply.

What the AOA SHOULD do is simply put out a press release that says that current optometric supply meets and is expected to meet demand for the foreseeable future and as such, no new schools are needed.

That alone would be half the battle.

There is no risk of anti-trust in a statement like that.

I can't agree with that.

Accreditation standards of schools should be set based on what is required to produce a competent OD. Patient numers, faculty etc. etc. It shouldn't be artificially adjusted to control supply.

I also disagree with the notion of making boards harder.

As far as the NBEO making the test harder, the NBEO exam is a test of minimum competency. It's designed to measure the minimum competency required to allow an OD to practice and not be a danger to the public. It's not supposed to be a device to control supply.

What the AOA SHOULD do is simply put out a press release that says that current optometric supply meets and is expected to meet demand for the foreseeable future and as such, no new schools are needed.

That alone would be half the battle.

There is no risk of anti-trust in a statement like that.

This is one instance where I disagree with KHE. All those things mentioned would increase the quality of education and the graduates. I particularly think we need a significant increase of minimum patient encounters. This is necessary to increase competence. One of the reasons I would support mandatory post-doc residencies. We can't have every Tom, Dick, and Harry private Osteopathic medical school opening up a fly by night OD school.

What the AOA SHOULD do is simply put out a press release that says that current optometric supply meets and is expected to meet demand for the foreseeable future and as such, no new schools are needed...
Agree with all of Ken's post, but especially this. The most recent schools didn't open to fill a need, but for profit & to increase the prestige of the school.

A small avalanche is starting & when these new schools start to graduate hundreds of extra OD's will be when we all get smothered.

For those who think more schools is a good thing since it will be easier to get in, prepare for a cascade of events that will harm our profession for a long time:
  • It's already difficult for new grads to find full time employment. It will get even tougher and might be working PT at multiple locations with poor job security and chance to advance.
  • Commercial employers will see the supply glut and begin to offer less and demand more with complainers getting kicked to the curb & replaced with a naive newbie.
  • OD's will feel pressured charge less and accept low-ball vision plans. Low-ball plans will thrive with more providers willing to enroll & take less, allowing them to go even lower with reimbursement.
  • Insurance carriers will see OD's charging $29 exams and feel comfortable lowering their reimbursement as well.
  • The new schools and the mega-enrollment schools like ICO will feel more hatred from the profession for getting us in this state.
  • Servicing a huge student loan on a meager PT salary will get very difficult to manage.
  • The best & brightest students will see the future of optometry and choose another profession (already starting).
I still think optometry is a great profession & I love my job, but I fear it will be nearly impossible for new grads to have what I have.

This is one instance where I disagree with KHE. All those things mentioned would increase the quality of education and the graduates. I particularly think we need a significant increase of minimum patient encounters. This is necessary to increase competence. One of the reasons I would support mandatory post-doc residencies. We can't have every Tom, Dick, and Harry private Osteopathic medical school opening up a fly by night OD school.

The tacit implication there is that schools are not currently producing qualified grads. Is that the case? Based on what?

Is the public being harmed by masses of poorly trained ODs? Where?

In fact, I'd even venture to suggest that for 98% of what do on a day to day basis, our graduates are largely OVERtrained with skills they'll never use.

Why doesn't the AOA just write up a press release stating that there is indeed an oversupply?

I know there are two answers to this, but I don't want to sound arrogant and just spit out poor speculations, so I would appreciate if some of the contributing members of the AOA could tell us what exactly their membership amounts are used for.

Why doesn't the AOA just write up a press release stating that there is indeed an oversupply?

I know there are two answers to this, but I don't want to sound arrogant and just spit out poor speculations, so I would appreciate if some of the contributing members of the AOA could tell us what exactly their membership amounts are used for.

I would really appreciate pre-optometry students (like yourself) and optometry students to contact the AOA and voice your concerns. You are their future gravy train. This problem is going to hit each new graduating class harder and harder.

I would really appreciate pre-optometry students (like yourself) and optometry students to contact the AOA and voice your concerns. You are their future gravy train. This problem is going to hit each new graduating class harder and harder.

I'm a recent graduate ('10) and a lot of my classmates are still having trouble finding permanent full-time positions. I read on facebook a few of them had zero patient days. My worst day was 1 patient. I didn't know who to pay...my technician, rent, or insurance that day.

Oversupply is the biggest problem. :(

I'm a recent graduate ('10) and a lot of my classmates are still having trouble finding permanent full-time positions. I read on facebook a few of them had zero patient days. My worst day was 1 patient. I didn't know who to pay...my technician, rent, or insurance that day.

Where do you and your colleagues practice?

I think the AOA feels like people should go and practice in Bozeman Idaho and Lake Placid NY etc.. They wont feel sympathy if you want to practice in NYC or Denver or LA

I've heard similar concerns from friends that have graduated '09 and '10. Doing locum jobs, part time work between different practices wherever they can get the regular days.

Oversupply seems to be a problem in a lot of places.

Whenever I see oversupply issues with Optometry and all the other health professions on here it seems like the schools all say the SAME thing. "Our school will help meet the needs of undeserved areas in our state... with the rising amount of people getting older, blah blah blah etc etc etc...". Thats what they all say and no one seems to mind. And we all know that everyone goes to optometry school so they can serve the undesered areas in that specific state... NOT

Whenever I see oversupply issues with Optometry and all the other health professions on here it seems like the schools all say the SAME thing. "Our school will help meet the needs of undeserved areas in our state... with the rising amount of people getting older, blah blah blah etc etc etc...". Thats what they all say and no one seems to mind. And we all know that everyone goes to optometry school so they can serve the undesered areas in that specific state... NOT

:thumbup::thumbup:

Lol there is no way I want to keep living in NYC. This place is good to visit, the nightlife is good while drunk, and its good for finance majors. That's about it. That's why I picked optometry partly. To force myself to get out of this overcrowded city. And not practice in Cali/NY. Screw taxes.

why would you partly choose a profession to "force" you to live somewhere else?

Lol, I guess I can word it better. I would like to live somewhere other than the oversupplied areas and going into optometry will facilitate this. It will be more profitable and less burdensome to live in other areas of the country which are more under-served and more cordial to optometrists.

Also I am a bit lazy so this way I will be forced in a way :) Like I actually had to schedule my OAT before I really cracked down and started studying for a month straight.

It is unfortunate. I know several recent grads who are struggling and working part time at 2-3 practices with poor pay to make it work. Thank you to those who also have evidence of this.

I'm bumping this up; I'm from the pharmacy board and commiserate with your feelings about oversaturation. The cities are filled with pharmacists and with the market saturated, there was no choice but to move out to smaller towns. There was one CVS worker here whose hours dwindled to 27hrs a week and he hauled his whole family to Corpus Christi to get a full-time stint again. I know that other professions you most likely had to follow wherever the job is, but the medical professions for a long time, you could work where you lived/wanted to live.

I'm not sure what the future holds, but maybe the reality is, fewer folks living in smaller towns and thus, forcing them to just drive/move to bigger places to eke out services.

And again....I think that should change.

Economics and "business" are a reality in all of medicine now. That may or may not be MORE true in optometry but it's there.

Again, I think there needs to be MORE business courses taught in both optometry AND medical schools so that practitioners understand the system and how they're getting raped by people who HAVE had lots of "business" courses.

I completely agree that there should be more business classes provided throughout your optometric education, especially today. This would provide graduating ODs with a more savvy business-minded attitude and confidence in going private practice. Maybe if other ODs who unforunately lost their practices, for whatever reason, had a better idea what they were getting into...maybe there wouldn't be such a stigma about going private practice vs commercial. But I would personally prefer more courses on knowing how to go about the business side of optometry.

I also strongly agree with this statement as well. As students and ODs we complain and whine about many trials and tribulations facing optometry today. But what good will it do to go on forums and spread more negativity? At the end of the day, it is simply not productive or effective in any shape or form. Maybe student leaders from each school should begin addressing these concerns...forget about stepping on the toe's of the AOA...this is our LIVELIHOOD at stake (just think of the many sleepless nights and mucho $$$$ in student loans...just to be screwed over)!! However, although the AOA can contribute nominal change in preventing other schools from opening, most change has to occur on a state legislative level. But we have to start somewhere, right?? :i

I also strongly agree with this statement as well. As students and ODs we complain and whine about many trials and tribulations facing optometry today. But what good will it do to go on forums and spread more negativity? At the end of the day, it is simply not productive or effective in any shape or form. Maybe student leaders from each school should begin addressing these concerns...forget about stepping on the toe's of the AOA...this is our LIVELIHOOD at stake (just think of the many sleepless nights and mucho $$$$ in student loans...just to be screwed over)!! However, although the AOA can contribute nominal change in preventing other schools from opening, most change has to occur on a state legislative level. But we have to start somewhere, right?? :i

Yes, it is not anti-trust for the AOA to release a statement that the current optometric supply considerably exceeds the demand. This would be helpful in the fact that it might make it more difficult for these fly by night new OD schools to get start-up financing. You guys need to help us convince the AOA to step up and protect this profession.