Two doctors as parents??

UTAPlaya10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering if it is possible for a family to exist when BOTH parents are doctors. If it is possible which time would be the best to have kids. I have a girlfriend/fiance' that has changed her major to medicine and I am also a pre-med major. Any advice on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Get married and have kids first, then worry about it.

BTW, medicine is not a major.

both of my parents are doctors and everything worked out just fine. you may need a nanny to help you out but you will have the combined salary to make it possible

Members don't see this ad :)
My Aunt finished med school in the Philippines and started her residency in America around the late 80s. She met and married her husband, who was a JUNIOR in college for a Microbiology/Chem BS. They had their first kid in 1990, he finished his degree, and got into UCLA school of dentistry. Needless to say, he finished dental school, she finished her residency for pediatrics, and they live a nice comfortable life. My grandmother started living with with them when she was 4 (i think?) and took care of my cousin when they were away, and when she was an infant, I think my aunt dropped her off at a family friend's apartment.

Then again, this was in the early 90s... maybe life was less complicated than it is now?

we're in the same situation, but won't have any family able to come live with us. i'm 4th year MD/PhD and the husband is 3rd year residency.
Any advice on when is the (ha) "best" time for kids? 4th year, or after residency? Anyone go to interviews pregnant? How do you manage call schedules? Thanks!

I don't see any reason that two doctors can not be married. Many doctor's have children I think you are making a bigger deal out of this then it is. ;)

It's not like it's against the law, and it's pefectly fine. All you need to do is have a special time frame when to have kids, you will have to schedule differently, as soon as you have kids no matter anyways. :idea: