Turn down NYU to reapply or is that a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicwalrusknight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a follow up to the 400k debt bandwagon thread, what would be the feasibility of me re-applying after strengthening my application. I thought my scores were okay: 21 AA 21 TS gpa: 3.56 sgpa: 3.61. I only got accepted into NYU last cycle. But as I complained about before, that debt load is kinda annoying.

I have a decent amount of shadowing hours: 150
Volunteering: 0

If I take a year or so to volunteer and apply as early as I can June 2018, will I have a shot at the public schools? Will other schools frown upon me turning down NYU? Will they even know? And I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere in the US if it's cheaper than NYU.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a joke thread? That's two years of income you would lose and that's if you get in. Why'd u apply to NYU if you wouldn't attend it ?

Reactions: 3 users
I don't reccomend it, sure NY has two state schools but they are extremely picky and fickle. You have to also include that you lose about 1 year of average income as a dentist. Your stats are solid but they aren't out of the world.ike a 4.0 25 dat for example. If you turn down NYU you won't hear from them ever again. So there's the risk/reward scenario.

The risk, not getting into any school/getting into a school that costs the same as NYU.

The reward, you can use the extra year to make money and save it. Then getting into a cheaper school would be even more savings. Drawback is postponing being a dentist for another year.
My calculations weren't meant to dissuade you from going to NYU, it was meant to educate you on the real cost and to show namelessking that I wasn't making numbers up. My choice would Be to go to NYU and live smart. The program is renown and is very solid.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should go. If you're fiscally responsible that debt load is manageable. Also like the other poster said, you would lose out on a year or 2 of working if you were to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't reccomend it, sure NY has two state schools but they are extremely picky and fickle. You have to also include that you lose about 1 year of average income as a dentist. Your stats are solid but they aren't out of the world.ike a 4.0 25 dat for example. If you turn down NYU you won't hear from them ever again. So there's the risk/reward scenario.

The risk, not getting into any school/getting into a school that costs the same as NYU.

The reward, you can use the extra year to make money and save it. Then getting into a cheaper school would be even more savings. Drawback is postponing being a dentist for another year.
My calculations weren't meant to dissuade you from going to NYU, it was meant to educate you on the real cost and to show namelessking that I wasn't making numbers up. My choice would Be to go to NYU and live smart. The program is renown and is very solid.
I mean I don't think it's one year it's two years no ? He'd apply 2018 after accumulating volunteer hours .. which means he'd have to start 2019?

Regardless I agree

I agree with Likkriue. You would be taking a huge risk by turning that acceptance down. Would also look like a red X on your re-application in my opinion making it that much harder for you to get in next cycle. Of course the pros and cons of going to NYU can be discussed on and on, but for this reason alone I would go

lol did you already pay that wallet-punch of a deposit? Would kinda be rough to lose that plus the year or two of potential income...just sayin

Sooo, when are people going to start saying no to NYU and USC?

500k apparently is not enough

I interviewed at NYU and they know they're expensive. They talked about it during the presentation and acknowledged that the price wasn't for everyone. Also, when I went to the restroom to freshen up before my interview, a D3 and D4 were there and literally said "Save your money."

However that being said NYU is an AMAZING school at least from what I saw. I don't think I would've gone there but I can see why it might be a bit "worth it" to some people

Reactions: 3 users
Turning down your only offer to any school will definitely hurt your application. It's not just about the cost, but the message it sends to other dental schools. You'll have to make up for it substantially should you choose to go that route.

It really depends on the applicant, for some, attending those schools is financially viable.

Meh, NYU isn't anything special, in my opinion.

Then again, your stats aren't special either, OP. In fact, with the markedly increasing competition for dental school nowadays, I would say you're potentially setting yourself up for failure--that is, if you want to be a dentist in the first place.

I don't know if you have ever considered it, but you could always consider HPSP after your first year. Regardless of how you decide to go about paying for dental school though, it will be a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.