TUNCOM Vs PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungRic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I know it is very late into the cycle but I recently just got an interview from TUNCOM and if accepted. I know I would be torn between two schools. I am from Northern CA. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

TUNCOM

Pros:
Closer to home relative to WA
Lots of residency matches in Anesthesiology and Internal Medicine
Sounds like there are a lot of clinical opportunities for students
Curriculum seems very relaxed
Attendance not mandatory and lectures are recorded
good board pass rates

Cons:
Graded classes
heard not many research opportunities
Needing to uproot everything very last minute since class starts Aug. 1st

PNWU:

Pros:
good board pass rates
also good residency matches
beautiful wineries and breweries
during my interactions with the staff and admin, they have been very nice
self-study and optional lectures
Also lots of residency matches in Anesthesiology and Internal Medicine
Rotations sites have a lot of opportunities in Cardiology
pass/fail

Cons:
limited research opportunities
Farther from home
Clinical rotations are spread out vastly

I don't know if I am missing something, but would love to hear input from students!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are somewhat similar, PNWU does have a stronger focus on rural primary care.
TUN is in LV so you'd be in a metro vs rural* city.
LV also has UNLV so there might be avenues for research there.
I would also look at cost of attendence.
Ultimately, both are fine, TUN is probably a little more stressful with graded pre-clinicals, larger class, and a more saturated region; but they do have a longer history and a larger system for support. PNWU is going to be more close knit, less competition (classmates are very collaborative), and more rural; but it might be harder to get back to Cali, you're more isolated, and there's less resources for extracurriculars.

*edit: Yakima is a small city but most standards, but it is heavily agricultural and not really comparable to a metro like LV. Personally, I very much enjoy both Yakima and LV, but understand both are not for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduated from TUNCOM and my friend from PNWU, she wasn't happy there. I loved TUNCOM and who said there is no research opportunities? Yes, TUNCOM p/f as well since pandemic. All the best!!!

Soon to be M2: From my understanding, TUNCOM is "p/f" but still takes a rank so they can put quartile in the dean's letter. At least that's the last thing I remember being told. Admin can be kinda sucky in confirming what they actually plan on doing. TUNCOM is pretty good if you can get past the no windows thing