Tulane vs. Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingkongsami

Reaction score
I am struggling so much trying to decide between these two schools. I am from Indiana so I have an in-state tuition rate, but I recently received a scholarship from Tulane that makes the COA about the same for the two schools. I went undergrad and did my master's at Tulane- I have fallen in love with the city and the school and I was originally very sad to leave it.

However, now that they are the same COA, I have no idea which one to choose. I would love some wisdom because I have to decide tomorrow, and I am just so lost on what to do.

Indiana
Pro
  • Huge school
  • Ton of research opportunities
  • ***Most important: close to family (can rely on them for support, maybe live with them if I get Indy)
  • Good clinical opportunities
Con
  • Do not know what campus I will get (I only want Indianapolis)
  • Know very little about the school because they did not share any information during interviews
  • Could end up in a campus where I know no one
Tulane
Pro
  • Love the city of New Orleans and this school
  • I can tell they want me here because they rarely give out scholarships
  • Read from so many places that Tulane has one of the happiest and chillest student bodies
  • Uncompeitive and chill culture
  • I know a lot of people attending this school
Con
  • Far away from family during a time where I may need them the most
  • Money spent on travel, possibly going out, and apartments may be expensive
  • I have been here for the past 5 years, maybe I need to try something new
I am very lost, and I only have 24 hours to decide. It is basically between what is more important to me: being close to family (IU) or having a happy, chill medical school experience (Tulane). I know no medical school will be "chill," but I know from current students that the vibe at Tulane is happy and uncompetitive. Would appreciate any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

If being closer to your family can’t make up for having to go to one of the other campuses besides Indianapolis, then opt for Tulane.

Reactions: 1 user