Tulane vs. FSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yesnomaybeso12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide between FSU and Tulane and looking for some input. I'm interested in pretty much all specialties except surgery, radiology, and pathology so I don't want to limit my options in the future. Also I am interested in possibly working in academics in the future. FSU emphasizes community/primary care/rural medicine, but I know people who have gone their and matched in EM, Derm, and other specialities at academic programs. Also their match list has a lot of people match outside of FM/IM. However, I still have some doubts about FSU since they have a new curriculum (2 years old) and their step 1 scores are below the national average (about 220).

FSU
Pros:
-Will be able to stay close to home with a strong support system
-In state tuition
-Low cost of living in Tallahassee
-One on one with attendings during 3rd and 4th years

Cons:
-Newer school with a less known reputation
-No academic hospital for rotations
-Less established curriculum
-Potentially may be more difficult to get involved with research (I've heard many students do not do research)
-Living in Tallahassee may suck (coming from a large city)

Tulane
Pros:
-Established curriculum with a better known reputation
-New medical center & more diverse patient population than FSU's rotation sites
-May be easier to get involved with research with their resources

Cons:
-30k+ more expensive per year & higher cost of living in NOLA
-Shares clinical rotations with LSU students

I believe I may be more comfortable/happy as a student at FSU, but I also think there is a chance Tulane would open more doors and have better training so I'm torn. I appreciate all your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: