Tulane Students: Demming Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sketchball

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
Just wanted to get some opinions from current tulane students on their opinions on living in Demming versus living in apartments in uptown. If you can, please indicate pros and cons of each side

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed there Pisano basically told us not to live in Deming. Most all of the students I talked to agreed with Hawaiian Bruin - live in Uptown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I live Uptown. Very neighborly area. Two grocery stores in short walking distance. Only bad thing about it is that once I go home, I don't want to go back up to campus. For any reason.

But the spa in the Demming courtyard is so nice!!!

lots of people live in demming 1st year, till they know the city better and meet some people who might be potential roomates to share a place with later. It's really not the safest city either, so if you don't know where to live, it might be best to take a year to find out.

This thread and its posts are over four years old. I was hoping to get some up-to-date opinions on living in Demming. I will be a T1 in the fall and I am trying to figure out if staying in Demming is a good choice. I don't know anyone in the NOLA area and so I figure that living in Demming would be a good way to meet people and make friends (and potential roommates for the future).

What are some of the positive and negative aspects about living in Demming?

Thanks.

I lived in deming when I was a grad student, so here are my 2 cents.

pros:
-you are literally 2 seconds away from school/hospital.
-fairly reasonably priced and everything's included (furniture, electricity, internet, and water)
-you have a place to nap and make food between classes.

cons:
-parking. i had a pass to park in the hospital garage. forget about leaving during the day cause you'd never get a spot back. i can't remember what it costs though. i would always have to drag my groceries through the hospital as well. :thumbdown:
-most friends lived uptown, so i'd have to drive up there all the time anyways to hang out and do stuff.
-very dorm-ish with tight quarters. can't really have get togethers etc with more than like 4 people.
-looks sterile and institutional.

i did it for the same reasons that you want to. i didn't know anyone there and it was easy. i got a random roommate and we shared a 2/2. generally, it worked out pretty well, but i don't think i could have lived there for longer than a year.

You can do a lot better than Demming if you live uptown. You will still make plenty of friends :)

Hey,

Thanks for the input. I just want to know if the last poster would be able to expand a bit on his/her comment that you can "do a lot better" by living up town. Are you talking about the comfort level for your money? do better academically?

As for the first responder, did you regret living in Demming or were you happy with the way it turned out as strictly-first-year accomodation. Were your roommates all medical students? How many other medical students lived there?

Sorry about the inquisition, but I am just trying to figure this all out while travelling a bit in Europe and it is not the easiest thing to do.

Thanks.

Hey,

Thanks for the input. I just want to know if the last poster would be able to expand a bit on his/her comment that you can "do a lot better" by living up town. Are you talking about the comfort level for your money? do better academically?

As for the first responder, did you regret living in Demming or were you happy with the way it turned out as strictly-first-year accomodation. Were your roommates all medical students? How many other medical students lived there?

Sorry about the inquisition, but I am just trying to figure this all out while travelling a bit in Europe and it is not the easiest thing to do.

Thanks.

No, I didn't regret it as I was only there for a year and it was an easy to figure out deal from a state away.

Graduate students in public health and sciences and med students can live there. My roommate was in the same course of study as I was. I don't know about numbers, but I'd say it's pretty evenly split between med and grad students. Students on away rotations frequently stay there as well.

I definitely would have moved away after a year. For your situation (being abroad and trying to find a place), it's a guaranteed ok place. Even if you go with a roommate, rent/bills is all separate so you never have to worry about being shorted or anything so you can't get too screwed. I think they try to match you up the best they can with someone in a similar situation. You can also easily arrange everything without setting foot in Louisiana.

Hope that helps.

Has anybody seen the floor plans for both 2 bed apartments in Deming? There are two options, one with two bathrooms and one with just one bathroom. I am curious to know the difference in floor plans. How do they compare? ie. Is there a living room in one and not in the other?

Thanks