Tulane mph Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time, Jaya! I know it's got to be stressful and frustrating, but I honestly haven't had a single glitch in my communications with Tulane. Everyone has been extremely friendly, helpful, and prompt. Have a great trip & hang in there!

I'm 95% sold on Tulane but haven't had a chance to visit or really reach out to faculty members yet. I just want to throw a few questions out there that you all may have already posed:

- Is there any funding available for the IHD practicum? What impressions have you all gotten about it?
- Is the combination of the HSM & IDH departments expected to affect class sizes?
- Can anyone provide info on the cost of living in New Orleans? Any housing options that looked promising?

:)
Easy questions first...
The housing around the campus is pretty cheap. I live in chicago though so I guess it's all relative. Go to padmappers.com It's a great sight with tops of places that can help you narrow it down. The on campus housing for grad students is pretty expensive in my opinion...but if you are looking for a dorm like atmosphere then you might want to check it out.
I've been looking at one bedrooms...most of the "nicer" ones are around 800 ish but they are available for 500 there seems to be quite a range

The comination of the two departments WILL change the class sizes a bit...however they stay very small...Core classes are around 40 and once you are into your focus classes they said 15-25 ish. So they still stay pretty tiny.

Funding...hmm.. Well they really made it seem like it was up to us to get funding. The students that I spoke with said that if you do the work to get funding (ie grants and scholarships) they are definitely out there. So, that being said, it is available but is definitely not just handed out "willy nilly".

I hope this helps

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm currently in Vietnam volunteering and won't be back until June, so thanks for all the info on the open house. It's very helpful. I've also decided to go to Tulane for my MPH in IHD. Sooo excited, I love New Orleans!

I'm from Madison, WI, so it'll be a pretty big move for me too. I'm definitely interested in trying to find housing with roommates if anyone is interested in doing so with me. I'll probably try to come down to New Orleans when I come back to the States in July to secure some type of housing. Hopefully I can find something near campus around $400-500. Private message me if you're interested! Word on the street is I'm a pretty awesome person to live with. Just sayin'

Thanks, GlobalDisease... I'll definitely check out padmappers to get a feel for housing options. I feel like I'll have to do some hunting to find funding, but it's good to know that it's out there. Do you have Gibson access or an official financial aid award yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
how did i not know about padmappers!! Thanks, that is an awesome resource. I have my visit scheduled for this Friday and I can't wait to see everything.
Chaos, I received an e-mail on the 24th (last Thrusday) about Gibson. Basically, go to the gibson website and click on forgot username/password and then fill in the email address you gave Tulane when you applied and you should receive and email with ur ID and password.
https://gibson.tulane.edu/tulane/jsp/login.html
Then when you do sign in they'll probably ask you for ur SSN and this will help them match ur FASFA to your file. The email said once this is done the financial aid award status should be available within 10 business days

Has anyone else that's been admitted to Tulane received a call from their potential advisor offering to answer any questions?

Hi,
Epi2013, I didn't receive a call or any contact from my department.

An update that I did get to visit. They were able to pull things somewhat together at the very last minute but involved several phone calls on my part from Mexico which could have been avoided.

I have to say that everyone was very nice and the professors were very approachable and down to earth. The students were very friendly and I thought people were friendly in all of New Orleans. I like the dichotomy of the French Quarter so close to the medical campus. I like New Orleans better than I thought as well.

Everything did seem disorganized. Since they accept people three times a year, it seems like they can't quite keep track of everyone/everything. I really had to emphasize to the people I met that I had been accepted. They didn't know who I was in the slightest and I'm sure it is because they have so many people coming in and out all throughout the year. I guess some other potential students were also visiting and it would have been cool for us to all have lunch together but I never even crossed paths with them.

I find the reorg of sorts to be confusing and I am not sure that I am in the best program to fit my needs. I wasn't able to talk to the program director so I really don't know.

Maybe someone else has a better feel for this, but the building didn't seem to be well-kept (not sure how to describe it). I like that there were a lot of windows in the class room, but I am not sure how much I like what they call the "vertical campus" however that really isn't a decision making factor for me :)

I expressed my reservation about not getting financial aid information until after April 15th. The admissions people seemed surprised about this. I explained the problem of my inability to accept an offer without knowing that information and I needed to let other schools know by April 15th, but they kind of shrugged off. However, I think it is because they thought I would get it earlier.

While I don't know if this should be important or not (or at least I don't know why it is bothering me), but I really didn't feel like whether I attended or not was actually important to anyone I met. One professor I met assumed I was deciding between Harvard, JHU and Tulane which I took as a compliment--I didn't apply to either school because I was certain I wouldn't get in. The other thing is I am going to have to figure out this program issue because even though I am sure I can change once I get there, I don't want to make the commitment unless I know for sure.

So, those were my thoughts. For anyone visiting, I suggest that you are very specific with what you want to do while you are there, expect some down time and maybe indicate that if others are visiting it would be cool to meet those people as well.
Thank you all for your support during my frustration!
Jaya

P.S. I forgot to add that I liked the kind of seediness of the French Quarter close to where I would be taking classes. Of course, the street I turned on appeared to be owned by Larry Flynt but even that was slightly amusing. I walked down there very quickly though.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone on the information about Tulane!

I am just curious if anyone received their financial aid package yet? My information was complete by the first week of March. They said it would take 4-6 weeks to process it but I was hoping they would get it to me earlier so I don't have to rule it out completely. I emailed last week and he said between 15 April to 1 May which was 4-6 weeks from when it was complete :) so I guess no surprise there. I found out today I need to make an earlier decision than I thought for one school--including sending the deposit.

Jaya88, it sounds like you received the same dates that I did. Any impression that you will get it earlier?

Hi,
Epi2013, I didn't receive a call or any contact from my department.

An update that I did get to visit. They were able to pull things somewhat together at the very last minute but involved several phone calls on my part from Mexico which could have been avoided.

I have to say that everyone was very nice and the professors were very approachable and down to earth. The students were very friendly and I thought people were friendly in all of New Orleans. I like the dichotomy of the French Quarter so close to the medical campus. I like New Orleans better than I thought as well.

Everything did seem disorganized. Since they accept people three times a year, it seems like they can't quite keep track of everyone/everything. I really had to emphasize to the people I met that I had been accepted. They didn't know who I was in the slightest and I'm sure it is because they have so many people coming in and out all throughout the year. I guess some other potential students were also visiting and it would have been cool for us to all have lunch together but I never even crossed paths with them.

I find the reorg of sorts to be confusing and I am not sure that I am in the best program to fit my needs. I wasn't able to talk to the program director so I really don't know.

Maybe someone else has a better feel for this, but the building didn't seem to be well-kept (not sure how to describe it). I like that there were a lot of windows in the class room, but I am not sure how much I like what they call the "vertical campus" however that really isn't a decision making factor for me :)

I expressed my reservation about not getting financial aid information until after April 15th. The admissions people seemed surprised about this. I explained the problem of my inability to accept an offer without knowing that information and I needed to let other schools know by April 15th, but they kind of shrugged off. However, I think it is because they thought I would get it earlier.

While I don't know if this should be important or not (or at least I don't know why it is bothering me), but I really didn't feel like whether I attended or not was actually important to anyone I met. One professor I met assumed I was deciding between Harvard, JHU and Tulane which I took as a compliment--I didn't apply to either school because I was certain I wouldn't get in. The other thing is I am going to have to figure out this program issue because even though I am sure I can change once I get there, I don't want to make the commitment unless I know for sure.

So, those were my thoughts. For anyone visiting, I suggest that you are very specific with what you want to do while you are there, expect some down time and maybe indicate that if others are visiting it would be cool to meet those people as well.
Thank you all for your support during my frustration!
Jaya

P.S. I forgot to add that I liked the kind of seediness of the French Quarter close to where I would be taking classes. Of course, the street I turned on appeared to be owned by Larry Flynt but even that was slightly amusing. I walked down there very quickly though.
Hi Jaya,

Sounds like you have had one hell of a ride with regards to Tulane. I have had somewhat of a similar experience, except for the fact that I haven't been half as persistent as you. I finally got word from them yesterday (after endless emails and phone calls enquiring after my application status) that I had been accepted into their Global Health Systems MPH.

I'm deciding between Tulane, Emory (for Global Envt Health), GW (GH - design/monitoring/Evaluation), Tufts (HPM).

Could you perhaps mention a couple of salient reasons you might potentially still pick Tulane (despite your experiences thus far) given that you seem to have done a lot of research on them and of course visited them as well.

Thanks!

Ha! Part of my persistence was I had to beg and plead to get time off of work and I had already paid for that leg of my flight so I didn’t want to be out the money with the visit—especially after I had confirmed it 3 weeks earlier and asked if it was a good time to visit. In the end, it did seem like an unfortunate series of miscommunication between two areas and they certainly didn't like that it happened. I couldn't shake that lingering insinuation that I just dropped all of this on them despite me contacting them in advance. However, the one admin person who ended up helping me really went out of her way. Here are some reasons why I didn’t rule it out completely:

§ It has a good reputation
§ Faculty seemed involved in grassroots development projects
§ I was very much at ease with the faculty I met from a newer member to a distinguished member in my department
§ Their overall global focus
§ I ended up liking New Orleans more than I thought

However, I will not be attending Tulane. In the end, the experience with my actual department made too much of an impression. The program director didn’t even bother to meet me even though the person was in their office. I’m sure the person was busy but I wasn’t even introduced, and after the entire snafu, I felt too awkward to just introduce myself. You need to have a good relationship with the program director to be successful in graduate school and it was just a bad start. That all being said, if the visit went perfectly, I still don’t think it would have been the right fit. I just didn’t feel the same way about Tulane as I did when visiting Yale and UIC. I don't think my experience speaks for a general experience at Tulane or anything--just an unfortunate series of events :)

Jaya

Hi Everyone,

So I guess I'll put my two cents in about why I've decided and continue to choose Tulane after deferring for two years. I deferred to join the PC although PC and Tulane both wanted me to be an MPH-MI candidate. I'm happy I went with my gut feeling, I feel incredibly prepared to begin my graduate studies. My originally choices were between Tulane, Emory and Boston.

First I love New Orleans! If you never been you absolutely need to visit before you make a decision. It has this awesome laid-back vibe that sets you at ease. Secondly and more importantly it's dirt cheap, but that could also be my perception coming from NYC. It was a huge draw to me in comparison to Boston which I knew was going to be expensive just to walk outside. I know Boston gives pretty decent financial aid, but I feel that that aid is off-set by the cost of living. I'm trying to do the most with my money including living and I know I can do that in NOLA.

A lot of comments have been made about the vertical campus, but honestly I going there to learn and therefore I could care less about the look of the building. I also went to a pretty dilapidated looking campus for undergrad. Maybe I'm just use to it. Also coming from the current way I'm living, everything is an upgrade.

All the professors and staff that I spoke to were incredibly friendly and open to any questions that I had. Above all they are involved in their fields. I learned that while interning for a large INGO in NYC and we had several contacts at Tulane that did seminars for field staff and/or attended conferences. I was actually really surprised.
Finally I feel bad that so many people have had issues contacting Tulane, but we all know they are swamped and I'm sure they are trying to get it done so I forgive them. However, don't get me wrong I'm also emailing them like crazy to see how financial aid is going.

So that all from me and I look forward to meeting some of you in late August!

Oh I almost forgot, I decided against Boston because I wanted to leave the northeast and really wasn't that impressed with the school. I can't remember exact reasons since it was so long ago. Atlanta has poor public transportation and I have no idea nor want to know how to drive. The city wasn't for me.

Ro

Hi,
When reading over Bellalula's reasons, I realized why Tulane just didn't work for me because like I said, despite the snafu, I believe I would have come to the same conclusion.

For me, if were just out of the PC or undergrad, I think Tulane would have been a better fit. (In fact, I would have loved it when I returned from the Peace Corps). It has nothing to do with the average age or the amount of people with work experience, it it is more that I have very specific things I am looking for and Tulane just didn't fit. At a different time in my life, I think it would have been a great fit. I thought once I visited, I would have a hard time deciding between Tulane and my other options but it was actually quite clear. I think I didn't want to rule it out because it is a good program. So, I think that is another reason why I was still considering it.

Jaya

I just mailed in my postcard accepting Tulane's offer today! I'm very excited to explore New Orleans and meet all the great students who will also be there! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly haven't had a single glitch in my communications with Tulane. Everyone has been extremely friendly, helpful, and prompt.

It seems I spoke a little too soon. I've been trying to get a feel for international & research opportunities at Tulane and haven't been able to get in contact with any faculty at all recently. Does anyone have a solid idea of the opportunities that are available for students to get overseas experience? I remember finding a listing of education abroad programs at one point, but I haven't been able to locate it since. What about where to find a listing of research opportunities or student employment options?

Also... where is everyone in the decision-making process? What do your pros/cons lists look like?

It seems I spoke a little too soon. I've been trying to get a feel for international & research opportunities at Tulane and haven't been able to get in contact with any faculty at all recently. Does anyone have a solid idea of the opportunities that are available for students to get overseas experience? I remember finding a listing of education abroad programs at one point, but I haven't been able to locate it since. What about where to find a listing of research opportunities or student employment options?

Also... where is everyone in the decision-making process? What do your pros/cons lists look like?

Hi!

Since everyone on this forum has been so helpful to me throughout the application process, I'll try to pay it forward a little.

Last week I was frantically contacting everyone to gather information before making a decision. Through that, I found that my advisor at Tulane was a great source of information and very quick to respond. This may be different based on the individual advisor though. I don't have a comprehensive list of potential practicum placements, but I recall seeing a list at some point that included places like the WHO, organizations in Haiti, and many different places around the world. I think the large amount of Peace Corps volunteers could help lead to a lot of potential for experience abroad, even for those not involved with it. That may be generic, but I can't find that list again. :oops:

As far as research goes, there is a section on the TulaneSPHTM website for research affiliations of faculty and various centers broken down by area of study. It seemed pretty extensive

For work experience, I'm trying to look into that too, but I think we may have to have a Tulane ID to access the school's own listings. I haven't found a good website taht groups opportunities otherwise (I don't consider Craigslist to always be that helpful).

As you have probably noticed, i just recently made my decision to go to Tulane. Here was my thought process last week (from a thread that I started):

Tulane:

I liked the city, but not necessarily the neighborhood around the school.
I liked that they focus a lot on Global Health in most of the concentrations.
I like the opportunities for practicums that they offer both locally and abroad.
I like that it's slightly cheaper than BU.
I like that my potential advisor has made an effort to contact me.
I like that a student was willing to give me a tour on a Saturday (despite that the school isn't actually open then).
I like that it stays warm in the South.
I like that classes are offered any time of day, not just at night.
I like that any emails I've sent have gotten a response in less than 48 hours, sometimes as little as 2.

I didn't like that the school wasn't open while I was there because I didn't get an equal feel.
I don't know about funding opportunities (I haven't had much luck with scholarships because I'm out of undergrad but don't have a lot of experience and am not currently enrolled in graduate studies).
I didn't get the impression that it was easy to finish in 3 semesters.
I don't like that pretty much every weekend seems to be Spring Break there.
Again, I'm not sure if I ultimately want to work in the South.

Ultimately, I chose Tulane over BU (and GW) because of the focus on global health and the opportunities for more infectious disease based work experience and emerging diseases due to it being the only school of tropical medicine in the country.

I hope this helps a little. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. (I also hope the other Tulane acceptees will correct me if anything that I said is wrong. I haven't explored every facet of the website and may not have asked all the questions of my advisor that needed to be asked)

What about where to find a listing of research opportunities or student employment options?
QUOTE]

I remember seeing some jobs posted in the elevator when I was visiting. Also, I vaguely recall a professor telling me that various opportunities are sent via email and you can look at the job site for Tulane and the hospital. You might want to email your financial aid person (I believe it was split up by alphabet) and ask if they have work study. Oh, do you have a program coordinator or something for your department? They should be able to help with some of these questions.

I just mailed out my postcard today, I'll be starting in the fall.

When I visited I asked about study abroad opportunities and was told that they often go through the Payson Center:

http://www.payson.tulane.edu/

If you click on "projects" then there is a list of things they are working on. I know that during the summer you can do partial semesters abroad in Rwanda, Suriname, and several other countries.

Ultimately I decided on a different school so I didn't research too far into this, but it's a place to start if you are interested in study abroad options! I was told that there are also opportunities to work on projects with professors, but those are more personal (so you probably wouldn't find a list of opportunities, you might just find out a professor is working on something you are interested by researching the faculty and then talk to them about a collaboration).

Good luck with your decision! Tulane is a great school!

I recently had a meeting with the new chair of the joint international/health systems program that will start this fall and a current student.. Both were very honest with all my questions and essentially I got the following out of it:

-Tulane has very little financial aid, there is a 5000 award for Returned Peace Corps Volunteers but other than that I was told to take out loans... :confused:
-Tulane has a 4+1 program by which undergrads can get their mph with just one additional year.. this makes core classes very large..:thumbdown:
-International fieldwork/opportunities are available and can be found with faculty (some of them are even paid - depending on the project funding)
-The new program will have a solid international focus with skills based classes.. (but who knows if this is true.. as it hasnt started yet)
-New orleans of course is amazing!

I personally am a PC and still serving in W. Africa, but next year I will be applying to Tulane along with the others..

Good luck to everyone making their final choices!!

Does anyone on here know when we have to secure housing for August? At my undergrad, leases for apartments starting August 1st were generally signed between September and November of the year prior.

Also, which neighborhoods are people looking in? I'd like to be near the street car line, possibly in the graden district. I likely won't have a car so I need to be within walking distance of things to do and places to buy groceries, etc.

I'm really looking forward to August!

Are you talking about campus housing or just an apartment in the city? There's tons on Craigslist at all times, I'd start looking for an apt about a month in advance. Certainly not the year before.

NOLA isn't the best area not to drive, the street car is iconic but sucks. It's not the best bicycle town (no paths, bad quality roads, crappy drivers) but plenty of people do it. I can't imagine not having a car here, but I've never not had a car so...

The best neighborhood IMO is uptown, especially between Audubon park and Napoleon, between Magazine St and St. Charles. Anywhere uptown within a couple blocks of Magazine and St. Charles is usually ok. It's not especially close to downtown. You could take the streetcar if you really wanted to. Tulane also has shuttles from the uptown to downtown campus. http://tulane.edu/studentaffairs/tom/transportation/shuttles.cfm

Garden district is fine, can get a little sketchier the farther you get from Magazine and St. Charles. In general not as many younger folks as Uptown.

If you're a bicycling, barefoot type from say...Portland the Marigny is a very cool neighborhood, relatively close to school (just on the other side of the french quarter).

A last ditch option that a lot of medical students and residents from out of town end up with is the Saulet apartments. It's one of those all-inclusive complexes with pool, gym, covered parking. It's convenient.

There's also mid-city though I don't think it really offers anything special.

You can PM me if you want anything more specific, I know the city better than anyone you've likely got access to.

Last edited:
I was looking at apartments in general and obviously I don't know the city well so thank you so much for your input NOsquid.

Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on the housing that the university has? I've heard mixed reviews about Deming, but basically nothing about Papillon. Papillon looks nice, but really expensive and I think the apartments are unfurnished. I also believe it has a shuttle to the downtown campus? Is it in a good neighborhood or is there some sketchiness nearby?

I'm a person who likes to plan ahead so my apartment search may be a little premature. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Last edited:
I didn't even know Papillon existed. Google'd it. Neighborhood isn't bad so long as you stick close to St. Charles and travel mostly South, but yes you don't want to wander a few blocks North of there at night if you're not comfortable with the "hood" (I'd be fine, but I grew up here and I'm a 6'2" male.) You know that Chris Rock joke about Martin Luther King Blvd...it's the same in any city and NOLA's iteration doesn't disappoint. It looks to me like a similar solution to those Saulet apartments I mentioned - "meh" neighborhood with lots of amenities, conveniently close to downtown, mostly filled with people from out of town. I'd keep it as a backup but with the rent near $1000 for the smallest apt, I think you could find a place with a bit more authentic charm in a nicer part of town. If you really don't want to drive obviously the shuttle at Papillon is a plus.

Has anyone else not received a financial aid package yet?

I haven't received anything yet. My financial aid counselor said they would try their best to get something to me by today. I got the impression that, unless you are a RPCV, we should all expect to get a loans-only package... plus a small work-study award, if you qualify. Have you tried following up with your counselor?

I haven't either. When I emailed them last week, they said there was a coding error in my record or something. I haven't received any information since. My FAFSA was submitted in January so I'm hoping to get my aid soon.

Hi!

I wanted to add onto this thread, how do people feel about UIC? I'm currently choosing between UIC and Tulane for an MPH in Epi. I think I like Tulane's program a little bit better, but UIC is also about $30,000 cheaper, and Tulane offered me nothing about loans.

Any thoughts about choosing between those two schools?

Hi,
I chose UIC (although, I ruled out Tulane earlier). I think it depends on your debt tolerance. I went with the $$$ but that isn't always the best decision. If money wasn't an issue, where would you go and why? That might help clarify things. Of course, it is important but sometimes it is important to take that out of the initial decision making.

I actually don't think there is much difference between the schools but Tulane is definetely better known globally and probably nationally. I think UIC has great Chicago connections and urban health exposure (both applied and research/theory) and I think among public health practioners, UIC has a good reputation. If you want to work in the Chicago area, I think it is the best choice for connections, etc. If you are interested in more global epi, I know UIC says they have a global health program, but I believe it is very limited. I already have a lot of global experience so in the end, I decided it didn't matter as much. If you don't have global experience and want it, Tulane is probably a better option!
Jaya

If anyone is looking for temporary summer housing...
I am currently an undergrad at Tulane studying public health. My roommate and I will not be in NOLA for the summer and are looking to sublease our apt. It is uptown, conveniently located between st. charles and claiborne (easy, quick access to downtown) and it only takes a couple minutes to walk to the Uptown Tulane Campus. Very nice and safe area.

here is a link to the craigslist posting:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/sub/2339084944.html

Would anyone on here be interested in a facebook group for the incoming class this fall? I thought it might be nice to have somewhere to exchange information and post various things without clogging up these boards. Just a suggestion! :)

yes! That sounds like a great idea.

Hey Maximus27! I was trying to create a group and it wouldn't let me do it without inviting ppl but I don't really want to invite ppl that wouldn't be interested in it. Maybe you could send me a PM and we could become FB friends so I can invite you? U might have a better idea than I do...

is there anyone taking MPH in epidemiology? I wanted to know more about the Tulane?:confused:

is there anyone taking MPH in epidemiology? I wanted to know more about the Tulane?:confused:

+1
In addition, does anyone know if a dual MSPH in Parasitology and MPH in Epi is possible?

I know its kinda lame qst but I m really worried.
Any idea about tuition fee for int. student in MPH?