Tufts MBS vs. Rush Biotechnology MS (can anyone give pros and cons on either)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tufts MBS or Rush Biotechnology MS?

• Tufts MS in Biomedical Sciences

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Rush MS in Biotechnology

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

AAMM

Reaction score
Tufts MBS or Rush MS in Biotechnology? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been accepted in Tufts MBS and Loyola MAMS program. Please see below my take (leaning towards Tufts but not sure of the impact of medical school program change on MBS program).

InstitutionSide-by-side with medical students?LinkageLinkage Ranking, GPA/MCAT for 2018PROSCons
TuftsYesYes, Tufts Med 50% are interviewed. Tufts Med Ranking 56/59, 3.64, 513Good match with Medical school on east and west coast. TUFTS medical school program is changing (Impact on MBS? New program may not be as hard as before?) BOSTON location (21 teaching hospitals)Program Change: Classes may NOT be at the same time as medical students (to prove SS can handle medical school?)
Loyola UniversityNoYes, Loyola (Stitch) are interviewed based academic criteriaLoyola Med (NOT RANKED), Guaranteed interview - gpa 3.6 or higher, MCAT 508 or higherLinkage (Medical School) not ranked

Did you decide? Love to hear your perspective. I have to send deposit/Acceptance form by May 17th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you decide? Love to hear your perspective. I have to send deposit/Acceptance form by May 17th.

So I'm actually a Chicago native and attended Loyola Uni for undergrad. Personally, I've heard really good things/chances about students who go through the MAMS program and apply to medical school. I konw a lot of the professors involved in MAMS and they are really amazing and knowledgeable. As you have listed, there is a guaranteed interview if reach certain academic requirements which is really appealing. Personally I didn't apply to the MAMS as 1) I wanted a change of scenery from the Loyola system and 2) they required an MCAT score to apply but I hadn't taken the MCAT yet. I enrolled in Tufts instead of Rush but its extremely expensive, although the amazing thing is that the classes are essentially what medical schools will offer. Ergo, if you ace those classes, medical schools have a near precise indicator of how you would do in their own programs and can much more easily evaluate you (good grades would go a lot towards acceptance). However, the program doesn't have a linkage and further i heard that they tell you not to even bother applying to the medical school while you are still in the MBS program (they'll just discard your application). This is jsut what I heard, so I'm not sure about your reported 50% interview (unless this is in a cycle not concurrent with your MBS). Also medical school rankings don't mean much. No doctor cares where you went for medical school, they simply care how effective of a professional you are (it's not like law school where the name of your school matters).

So I'm actually a Chicago native and attended Loyola Uni for undergrad. Personally, I've heard really good things/chances about students who go through the MAMS program and apply to medical school. I konw a lot of the professors involved in MAMS and they are really amazing and knowledgeable. As you have listed, there is a guaranteed interview if reach certain academic requirements which is really appealing. Personally I didn't apply to the MAMS as 1) I wanted a change of scenery from the Loyola system and 2) they required an MCAT score to apply but I hadn't taken the MCAT yet. I enrolled in Tufts instead of Rush but its extremely expensive, although the amazing thing is that the classes are essentially what medical schools will offer. Ergo, if you ace those classes, medical schools have a near precise indicator of how you would do in their own programs and can much more easily evaluate you (good grades would go a lot towards acceptance). However, the program doesn't have a linkage and further i heard that they tell you not to even bother applying to the medical school while you are still in the MBS program (they'll just discard your application). This is jsut what I heard, so I'm not sure about your reported 50% interview (unless this is in a cycle not concurrent with your MBS). Also medical school rankings don't mean much. No doctor cares where you went for medical school, they simply care how effective of a professional you are (it's not like law school where the name of your school matters).

Thanks

Sure, no problem and good luck to you! What did you end up deciding and why?

Decided on Tufts MBS mainly:

1. Good match with Medical schools on east and west coast
2. Good program that helps me prove that I can handle medical school
3. BOSTON location (21 teaching hospitals)

Decided on Tufts MBS mainly:

1. Good match with Medical schools on east and west coast
2. Good program that helps me prove that I can handle medical school
3. BOSTON location (21 teaching hospitals)

Great, I guess I'll be seeing you there this Fall! Good luck!