Tufts c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview is tomorrow morning šŸ˜– any tips for what to expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't stress too much about it, I had mine on Friday and it was super conversational and my interviewers were insanely nice and positive! I would definitely know your application well, and if you specified wanting to go into a certain area of vet med, expect them to ask that.

For example: I put lab animal med, research, and public health on my application and our whole conversation was predominantly based off of that. I didn't talk much about my other veterinary (GP/ECC/equine) or animal experience much. They want to know that you have experience to back up your claims of being interested in an area.

Other than that, don't worry, just be yourself. Also have some questions prepared to ask at the end!

Reactions: 1 user
The feedback on this site lists tons of questions, everything I was asked was in the list :) itā€™s conversational and low key. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't stress too much about it, I had mine on Friday and it was super conversational and my interviewers were insanely nice and positive! I would definitely know your application well, and if you specified wanting to go into a certain area of vet med, expect them to ask that.

For example: I put lab animal med, research, and public health on my application and our whole conversation was predominantly based off of that. I didn't talk much about my other veterinary (GP/ECC/equine) or animal experience much. They want to know that you have experience to back up your claims of being interested in an area.

Other than that, don't worry, just be yourself. Also have some questions prepared to ask at the end!
One of my interviewers was like sooo you have a lot of small animal experience. Like A loooooooot.
you know you have a lot of hours when lol

One of my interviewers was like sooo you have a lot of small animal experience. Like A loooooooot.
you know you have a lot of hours when lol
OMG right!? šŸ˜³ Did they base your questions off of that or did they ask more "standard" interview questions that they ask everyone?? They didn't even ask about my small animal experience and I have far more ECC experience than lab animal. I didn't even mention maybe thinking about doing ECC in addition to or instead of lab animal because they were just going on and on with questions about lab animal stuff and I didn't want them to think my application was disingenuous (it's not I'm still very much interested in LAM, I just love ECC too šŸ„“)

Yeah I just watched the introduction videos of my interviewers and I realized they really matched them to what I want to do since I am interested in wildlife and one health and Iā€™m pretty much starstruck

Yeah I just watched the introduction videos of my interviewers and I realized they really matched them to what I want to do since I am interested in wildlife and one health and Iā€™m pretty much starstruck
Sounds about right! Just make sure you can talk about why you want to do those and the experiences that you had that helped you realize that. I also love One Health and certainly didn't talk about it as much as I should have, I kind of neglected my love of public health for lab animal and research and I kind of regret it now! But it is what it is šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I'm sure you'll do just fine! The interviewers genuinely want to get to know you so don't be afraid to be yourself and let your personality shine!

OMG right!? šŸ˜³ Did they base your questions off of that or did they ask more "standard" interview questions that they ask everyone?? They didn't even ask about my small animal experience and I have far more ECC experience than lab animal. I didn't even mention maybe thinking about doing ECC in addition to or instead of lab animal because they were just going on and on with questions about lab animal stuff and I didn't want them to think my application was disingenuous (it's not I'm still very much interested in LAM, I just love ECC too šŸ„“)
It came up in the context of where do I see myself 3-5 years after graduation. :)
literally me: I dunno I like everything!!!!!I want to try all of it and see where I can beat contribute.

It came up in the context of where do I see myself 3-5 years after graduation. :)
literally me: I dunno I like everything!!!!!I want to try all of it and see where I can beat contribute.
I didn't get asked that question!? šŸ˜§ (Thank god because I don't actually have an answer)

But I like your answer because I too want to try all of it. Vet med (actually medicine in general) is like being at one of those restaurants that's just one big buffet with all different types of food. You want all of it to see what you like the best, even if you have an idea of what you like, you still have to try other things because you're paying for it so why not? šŸ˜‚

See now I'm getting a little nervous lol. I just reviewed my app and I put wildlife medicine, conservation medicine, and research as my interests in that order. One of my interviewers is clin path -- which is cool, I am currently working in a clin path lab so that makes sense and is certainly an area where I'd consider residency in the future. The other interviewer seems like an incredibly interesting and friendly person, but he does large animal, and then research. I'm comfortable with research but the notion I may have large animal questions is starting to worry me; I work with goats sometimes but that's about it, and I'm wondering if I should read up on some large animal current events.
Has anyone else had an interviewer that seemed quite different from them?

See now I'm getting a little nervous lol. I just reviewed my app and I put wildlife medicine, conservation medicine, and research as my interests in that order. One of my interviewers is clin path -- which is cool, I am currently working in a clin path lab so that makes sense and is certainly an area where I'd consider residency in the future. The other interviewer seems like an incredibly interesting and friendly person, but he does large animal, and then research. I'm comfortable with research but the notion I may have large animal questions is starting to worry me; I work with goats sometimes but that's about it, and I'm wondering if I should read up on some large animal current events.
In my application I was very small animal exotic/conservation focused and my interviewers were involved in nutrition and microbiology :laugh: They do their best to match people up but it doesn't always work! My interviewers didn't ask me any specific questions about their specialties and instead focused on what I did know from my application. I wouldn't be worried about any large animal stuff!

One of my interviewers was on diagnostic imaging (didn't know it was a speciality). I was unsure what to ask him, so I went to the intro video and made up questions from there. I didn't really get to talk about my experience but mostly about residencies and specialties. They kept asking me for questions too. I prepared like 10.

Also, the beginning of the interview was him talking about coffee. It was a lot of fun. Best of luck to you and all.

In my application I was very small animal exotic/conservation focused and my interviewers were involved in nutrition and microbiology :laugh: They do their best to match people up but it doesn't always work! My interviewers didn't ask me any specific questions about their specialties and instead focused on what I did know from my application. I wouldn't be worried about any large animal stuff!
oh thank goodness lol that makes me feel so much better! also if I had nutrition I might've panicked just a lil tiny bit šŸ˜…
One of my interviewers was on diagnostic imaging (didn't know it was a speciality). I was unsure what to ask him, so I went to the intro video and made up questions from there. I didn't really get to talk about my experience but mostly about residencies and specialties. They kept asking me for questions too. I prepared like 10.

Also, the beginning of the interview was him talking about coffee. It was a lot of fun. Best of luck to you and all.
oh, okay! that's helpful. I feel like I'll have plenty to ask the one person, and then I think I could come up with some research questions pretty easily. I have a short list of questions for now but I'll work on that some more tonight :)
I love that your interviewer talked about coffee lol that would be a great ice breaker for me. I'm probably gonna go get another cup soon.. never mind that it's 4pm here lol šŸ™ƒ

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my questions were open ended although I did get asked what makes a happy horse...but that came up because I was talking about how something else and we went on a tangent. The rest were more like...what's a struggle in the profession, how do I balance conflicting demands on my time etc.

I felt like mine were really good matches for me, too.

oh thank goodness lol that makes me feel so much better! also if I had nutrition I might've panicked just a lil tiny bit šŸ˜…

oh, okay! that's helpful. I feel like I'll have plenty to ask the one person, and then I think I could come up with some research questions pretty easily. I have a short list of questions for now but I'll work on that some more tonight :)
I love that your interviewer talked about coffee lol that would be a great ice breaker for me. I'm probably gonna go get another cup soon.. never mind that it's 4pm here lol šŸ™ƒ
If you mix Coke zero with the end of a frappucino it tastes like rootbeer float and has like double caffeine....never mind it's 6:17pm here lol

• Wow
  • Haha
If you mix Coke zero with the end of a frappucino it tastes like rootbeer float and has like double caffeine....never mind it's 6:17pm here lol
wait that sounds so good though. i may try that sometime

wait that sounds so good though. i may try that sometime
Oh itā€™s pretty awesome. It works with iced coffee as well. I discovered this because Iā€™m too lazy to have multiple travel Yetis lol

That interview was definitely the best one Iā€™ve had yet and I honestly wish it was longer! They seemed so interested in me and were so cool and it was super conversational :) hereā€™s hoping!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just had my interview this morning and it went so well!! The interviewers were so kind and easy to talk to, I was shocked when they said time was up because it felt like we had only just started talkingšŸ˜‚best of luck to those of you who have interviews coming up! Now we start the countdown until Feb. 19thšŸ˜­

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who was ā€œwaitlistedā€ to interview gotten an interview invite yet? They told me Iā€™d hear anytime between now by Feb. 11th.

Has anyone who was ā€œwaitlistedā€ to interview gotten an interview invite yet? They told me Iā€™d hear anytime between now by Feb. 11th.
Iā€™m in the same boat as you. Havenā€™t heard a thing :(

Financial aid question again: when submitting to the TuftsBox, did anyone get a confirmation email? just wanna make sure it actually made it through

Financial aid question again: when submitting to the TuftsBox, did anyone get a confirmation email? just wanna make sure it actually made it through
No, just the screen updates saying successfully submitted. I emailed them to ask that question myself :)

• Care
For those who have had the interview, how was it like? What questions might be aksed? Thanks!

Everything I was asked essentially came from the interview feedback page on this site :) super laid back!
^^Same here, plus some questions about my experience/resume (they had it right in front of them). I was so nervous but there was no need to be, they were so nice and it was just like having a conversation. Youā€™ll be great!

I just declined my interview for this Thursday so hopefully someone will hear soon!

is anyone sending thank you emails after interviews?
I didn't because I heard it's not usually done for vet school interviews, but I'm curious if anyone has heard otherwise. It does feel a little strange not to send a thank you as you normally would after a job interview. Does anyone else have any insights about this?

I didn't because I heard it's not usually done for vet school interviews, but I'm curious if anyone has heard otherwise. It does feel a little strange not to send a thank you as you normally would after a job interview. Does anyone else have any insights about thi
I interviewed at Washington State and in the pre-interview email they told us thank you notes could be sent to a certain email; I do think the standard is no letters unless it is mentioned

Thank you's aren't a requirement, I did write my Tuft's interviewers thank you emails but that's really because I was given a paper with their names on it so it was easy for me to find their emails :laugh: I do think it comes down to personal preference, it shouldn't have any effect on the outcome if you do/do not write one!

I ended up sending emails to my interviewers because I felt the way they matched them up to your interests was pretty personal! I never sent any to Kansas or Washington and Iā€™m hoping that doesnā€™t impact my application in any way.. but it feels a little too late now

So my interview is on the last day and my interviewers have no relation to any of my interested fields... everyone on here has said the contrary so I'm really confused. I repeatedly said on my applications I am interested in wildlife but none for my interviewers have anything to do with wildlife but the faculty interviewer page is full of wildlife veterinarians.

I didn't because I heard it's not usually done for vet school interviews, but I'm curious if anyone has heard otherwise. It does feel a little strange not to send a thank you as you normally would after a job interview. Does anyone else have any insights about this?
I feel like doing what feels authentic and right for you is what makes sense. I don't want to be in a program where I truly don't fit and if something that feels natural and correct to me (like writing a thank you) isn't right or accepted then that's important information for me to have. Interviews are a two-way street. I sent thank you emails to mine. When I did MMI with another school I sent an email to the person who coordinated the interviews but not to each interviewer, because there were 7 of them and it wasn't really a personal interaction.

So my interview is on the last day and my interviewers have no relation to any of my interested fields... everyone on here has said the contrary so I'm really confused. I repeatedly said on my applications I am interested in wildlife but none for my interviewers have anything to do with wildlife but the faculty interviewer page is full of wildlife veterinarians.
I am interested in poultry medicine and got paired with a radiologist and a dairy vet. They definitely try their best to match people with an interviewer that has their same interest, but sometimes, for whatever reason, that doesn't work out. I really loved talking with my interviewers and learning about their areas of expertise though, so I hope you have a positive experience with yours as well!

Some of it is luck of the draw/availability. Maybe they saw something on your application that stood out to them that didn't to you. You're going to do great, they just want to get to know you, so be you!

I can't give too much insight, but I will say that the last few weeks have been super hectic for a lot of the professors. So it could be an availability thing that just didn't work out. From my experience with professors, they are all so welcoming and nice!!!

Thanks for everyone who responded! I definitely feel better about it now.

Thanks for everyone who responded! I definitely feel better about it now.
If it makes you feel any better only one of my interviewers was related to my area of interest. It wasn't bad.

If it makes you feel any better only one of my interviewers was related to my area of interest. It wasn't bad.
@CyroCap

None matched my interest but I had a blast and got to learn about their individual journeys through vet med which is something that I love to hear from others and how they got to their specialties. Also, I think it is a chance to learn about other areas in vet med.

I sent thank-yous to both of my interviewers and got a response from one of them. This was the only interview where I sent a follow-up email, but I really felt like the interview here was more personal and genuine than other schools' (mainly due to format/duration).

^^Same here, plus some questions about my experience/resume (they had it right in front of them). I was so nervous but there was no need to be, they were so nice and it was just like having a conversation. Youā€™ll be great!
Great! Thanks for sharing! I'm pretty nervous to be honest, Tufts is the only one offered interview to me this year. Hopefully the interview is gonna be smooth.

I was told during my interview that it would be the 20th or 21st, but seeing how thatā€™s a weekend, I hope itā€™ll be the 19th lol. I donā€™t want to wait any longer than I have to!

Coffee is definitely a universal glue :) I love me some coffee.

any current tufts students here that got accepted with an average(ish) GPA? thanks!

I had a 3.5.

My GRE scores were good, and I had a lot of experience. My stats are in the successful students c/o 2023 thread if you're interested

does anyone know how many people they accept after this round of interviews?

I'm pretty sure (unless they're doing it differently this year) that they'll send out all the acceptances/rejections at once sometime this month. They over accept, but they interview ~400 and the final class will have ~100.