Tufts Atmosphere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krodriguez

Tufts class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that my Tufts application is in, I decided to copy Bear90's post of Va-Md and ask, how is the atmosphere at Tufts? Class of 2011 how is your first year going? Older students are you glad you chose to go to Tufts?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm kind of curious as to what the atmosphere is of tufts as well. i hope someone will reply! :D

i cant speak of tufts from a student perspective, but i worked there for about 4.5 years... there are lots of plusses to the school... the campus is beautiful... on the downside of that, it is sort of in the middle of nowhere (though that can be a plus for some)... it is just the vet school (which differs from a lot of other vet schools that are part of a bigger campus) though boston is only about 45 min away. I lived in Worcester (the closest biggest city)... it leaves much to be desired, but as anyplace it is what you make of it! There are lots of nice quaint new england type towns within 30 min of the school though...

The people at Tufts are fantastic... almost all of the clinicians are really fabulous and are there for the students... A lot of the techs have been there for a long time and know their stuff but there are also a lot of younger techs as well which is nice for student interaction.

Tufts has a very busy caseload (small animal anyways...) Large animal can be extremely slow for months at a time (though that might be normal... im a small animal person!)

Lots of new technology at the school... they have gone to mostly electronic everything... and a couple years ago went digital in radiology... Last year they got their own MRI (we used to have one that visited a few times a week)

About 5 years ago about half of the hospital was rebuilt... so pretty much the ICU/ER, and all the small animal wards are only a few years old...

They dont track, which can be good or bad... I sort of like the choice of being able to track especially if you are undecided you can still do the mixed animal track (like here at csu).. but you will definitely have a well rounded experience at Tufts...

There are lots of chances for students to work in the hospital (especially during the summer... lots of summer student positions)

The main complaint I heard from students was that the class is small and since you are stuck on campus pretty much all day (there is a tiny cafeteria... though i believe they are moving to the new student center soonish) you sort of feel like living in a fishbowl... (though being in a class of 140 on a huge campus I still sort of feel that way!!)

I think if you get into Tufts it is overall a really nice school... and they dont let some get in without interviews so you will get to check out the school when you come for that... it is definitely not a school for everyone (especially if you are a super city type person) but from the 4 rounds of students I interacted with, most really enjoyed it. There were a few who said they wished they had gone elsewhere, but I am sure every school has those!!

I hope this helps, though I know you were looking more for a student perspective... any questions about the area or non-student questions, let me know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
this is good feedback, thank you soxbox!

you should probably post this on the current vet students forum-?