This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUCOM or AZCOM

• Total voters

InfundibulumFanatic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
TUCOM (Touro-CA)

PROS
  • Will cost roughly $40,000 less over the whole 4 years when accounting for COA and cost of living for my SO.
  • P/F preclinicals (though I am pretty sure there is a class ranking so this may not matter).
  • Easier, less expensive move (live less than a day's drive from the bay area).
  • I have some connections in the state and with the school (a family member is a physician in the state and I have a friend who graduated from TUCOM in a specialty I am interested in).
  • My SO already has a job lined up here and they are even giving her a moving bonus.
  • Prettier area imo.
  • Closer to friends/family.
CONS
  • Campus is less impressive (not sure if this matters at all).
  • Crime is significantly higher in Vallejo than Glendale.
  • Will have to live in a small apartment.
  • Longer commute to school because of SO's job location.
  • Seems that TUCOM doesn't match more competitive specialties as well as AZCOM.

AZCOM

PROS
  • More matches in competitive specialties.
  • Core rotation sites in LA/San Diego which are places my SO and I want to live and potentially go to residency.
  • Campus and surrounding area are safer than Vallejo.
  • Research may be easier to obtain through the research elective and summer research internship program.
  • Campus facilities appear to be more up-to-date.
  • Could afford to live in a house with SO's income.
  • Shorter commute to school.
CONS
  • Will cost roughly $40,000 more over the whole 4 years when accounting for COA and cost of living for my SO.
  • Letter grading.
  • More difficult and expensive move (3-day drive).
  • Farther from friends and family.
  • Larger class size.

Summary: I feel very fortunate to choose between these schools and I feel I would be happy with either one but my SO and I are having a really difficult time making this decision. I am pretty undecided when it comes to what specialty I want to go for but the ones I am especially interested in right now are anesthesiology, IR/DR, internal medicine, PM&R, emergency medicine, and general surgery. If you have any insight into this decision I would appreciate the advice--thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the exact same boat! I think you did a great job of laying out the pros and cons. For me (also moving with S/O), I am leaning more towards TUCOM, despite being from Phoenix.

I think the cost, P/F curriculum, smaller class size, and lack of major match rate differences have me pretty set on Touro. I know all medical schools are difficult, but I value a work life balance in general and think that Touro’s curriculum will allow for me to have slightly more free time and cope with stress more effectively while still shooting for something semi-competitive.

That being said, I have worked with AZCOM grads in the past and really have admired them. It’s a difficult decision for me too; to not move back home.

I’m in the exact same boat! I think you did a great job of laying out the pros and cons. For me (also moving with S/O), I am leaning more towards TUCOM, despite being from Phoenix.

I think the cost, P/F curriculum, smaller class size, and lack of major match rate differences have me pretty set on Touro. I know all medical schools are difficult, but I value a work life balance in general and think that Touro’s curriculum will allow for me to have slightly more free time and cope with stress more effectively while still shooting for something semi-competitive.

That being said, I have worked with AZCOM grads in the past and really have admired them. It’s a difficult decision for me too; to not move back home.

One more thing: AZCOM’s testing schedule and intense frequency of exams is not something I want. I think it totally has its merits and may help retain information better but I have heard from students how much of a burden it can be for some.

Touro CA. You should not be spending the 450k or so that AZCOM costs these days.

Better to have your SO take the job offer now than trying to find one later in Phoenix.