Trying to put things into perspective...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOEYSOBANK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr Oliver, Kimberli, Maxheadroom, etc. I've never put up a post before but have read every single thread in the plastics forum in the past year and have paroused the majority of this website. Your information is invaluable and I have picked up many tips and much worthwhile advice. However, there is one downside to reading other people's posts: I've feel as if I have started over-anaylzing my own CV that I will be sending out for the March 2005 match and I have lost an objective perspective of myself.

First, I know that I want to be a plastic and reconstructive surgeon. Do you know when you are in a setting that you feel like you just don't fit in or you stick out like a sore thumb (in an uncomfortable way)? I've felt that way about all of the medical field specialties except for PRS.

Because I have always had an inkling before 3rd year that I wanted to do PRS, I've tried to strengthen my application with help from professionals and this website. I have honored all of my 2nd year classes, the majority of my 1st year classes, received a 245 on Step I, honored all of my clerkships (Medicine and Psych) thus far with remarkable comments , and hopefully (fingers crossed) will get AOA Junior if not Senior year since I am in the Top 10% of my SUNY school. I am performing interesting research in the field of wound healing with a PRS from my school. This should get me "recognition in research" w/my MD and hopefully a publication as a 1st or 2nd author in a well-known journal. Most important of all, I feel as if I am extremely personable and truly love dealing with patients.

Different numbers and stats mean different things to different people. I have lost my objectivity after racking my brain everyday. I am not trying to say, by posting the above #s and stats, "please look at me and make me feel good/bad/or whatever." I am just asking respected, knowedgeable professionals such as yourselves:
What can I add to my application that will make me a truly competitive applicant for a top tier (i.e. UTSW) integrated plastics program?

I thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't fool yourself, though. The majority of the 250+ applicants in plastics are very, very strong candidates. Your scores and grades sound good. The research will certainly help you. A publication would be great, but unless you've started writing a manuscript by now, I doubt that anything will be published by this time next year. It would be good be able to have a paper submitted, though. Since your school doesn't have a residency, you'll need to consider doing at least one away rotation, and possibly two.

First, I'll say that every integrated program is very strong. The RRC is pretty tough on what they'll allow in the integrated format. Please note that this does NOT include the combined/coordinated programs (WashU, Rochester, SLU, OSU, Grand Rapids, USC, MCV, KU, Oklahoma, and many others). There are only about 20 TRUE INTEGRATED programs. The others are a bastardization of the integrated model (to quote the recently dethroned Ed Luce).

Second, I'll ask why UTSW? Have you rotated there yet? If not, I'll tell you that RR runs a tough program. Your GenSurg is at Parkland (not one of the kinder, gentler surgery programs) and the plastics years are very hard. Excellent training, but I'd only encourage you to go there if you're really serious about being an academic chairman somewhere. Otherwise, I'd strongly consider going somewhere else. They'll tell you the same thing at the interview. If you really think you want Dallas, go and rotate there to see for yourself.

If you really want to be at one of the top programs (UTSW, NYU, U Wash (Seattle), Michigan, Baylor), you should rotate with them. Top programs require sick numbers and want to see that you will truly fit with them.

There are several lesser known integrated programs that are very strong (notable faculty, good operative experience): Kentucky, Cincinnati, Missouri, Southern Illinois, Wake Forest, U Wisconsin, and Loma Linda, just to name a few.

I'd also apply to GenSurg programs with a PRS fellowship. Some that I liked: Vandy, UAB, Utah, Colorado.

Final word: You need to get out of the "I need the BEST" mentality. That was important for undergrad and medschool (to some point), but residency is all about "Best for me" instead of the measures that someone else uses. Don't worry about fellowship opportunities. Plastics people have more fellowship openings available than there are candidates. While you might not get NYU for craniofacial, there are lots of good opportunities out there.

Good luck in the next couple of years. Work hard and you'll do well.

Bull****, all of it. Oh, I've got a 387 step I and a 402 step II with 102 publications in PRS and LOR's from all the program chairs. Give me a break! . UTSW does not train future chairs, they break people and make them their bitches. For all you REAL applicants out there like myself, GO FOR IT! Just have a back up plan (research, gen surg, etc). Believe in yourself and your application and do your best. If a program only wants numbers, then **** em.

Members don't see this ad :)
ONE WORD FROM THE 2003-2004 PRS interview trail. Listen to the long post and advice you just got...and always remember what they said..."it's all about what's best for me" That being said i have two words for you- AWAY ROTATIONS

Everyone has a different set of advice. just do your best and apply. apply to gsurg as a backup. numbers can get you interviews, but so too can a couple of strong letters from people well respected in the field. away rotations help if your good. If you suck, they will hurt you as well. I have a good number of ps interviews, am not aoa, do not have a stellar board score and only did one official away. I got a nice letter, worked hard during med school and now have a legitimate shot at matching.

later