This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CordialAmoeba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently working as a dental assistant for the US Air Force overseas. I am trying to get as many prerequisite classes completed as
possible with my time over here. (I have about 2.5 years let over seas, and another 4 + in the military.)

I already have some college courses under my belt, and about 90% of my prerequisite classes completed for an associates. (Human anatomy and physiology
1 & 2 I completed back in 2017/2018.) The problem is, over in Asia, where I am stationed, our bachelor's degree plans are very limited. In fact, a lot of the programs
I have available are online only, and I understand that Dental Schools do not like online courses. I have an opportunity to minor in biology in class while I am here, however
all in class majors do not cover biochemistry, chemistry nor physics, all which I will have to complete once I move back to the states.

(I am looking at the enlisted to officer option once I actually have completed my prerequisites, but I am not relying entirely on this option. )

My degree choices in class that I am looking at are business administration, psychology, sociology and art history; my online options include art and health services management. (I am allowed a one degree plan switch for my military tuition assistance while I am in.) From your experience, which degree would be most useful given my situation? I have to decide soon before my semester begins. I don't want to waste anymore time being out of school or studying the wrong material.

I appreciate all the help and insight!

Sincerely, Cordial Amoeba

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was an assistant in the AF too! I got out in 2016 and have been a full time student for the last 4 yrs (I got accepted to DS this cycle). I interviewed at 4 schools and was invited to 2 more (I turned down). All of my science classes were in class and I am majoring in Biology.

Honestly, dental school does not care what your degree is in. I would suggest majoring in whatever you think you'll like the most and whatever you'll get the highest GPA in lol. What I found though, was that by the time you get the pre reqs done, you have a bio degree. So I would research what classes you can take while you're overseas that will transfer back here and count toward a bio major. Or, like I think what your plan is, get the bachelors done there ( in anything) and then do pre reqs later. Either way will work, but I would try to not waste time and effort in classes that I don't need to.

Side note:I took a ton of online classes. Not a single school mentioned it (and I'm not entirely sure they could even tell if it was online or not). I did make sure not to take and pre reqs online though. I do think that is important.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hello! I am currently working as a dental assistant for the US Air Force overseas. I am trying to get as many prerequisite classes completed as
possible with my time over here. (I have about 2.5 years let over seas, and another 4 + in the military.)

I already have some college courses under my belt, and about 90% of my prerequisite classes completed for an associates. (Human anatomy and physiology
1 & 2 I completed back in 2017/2018.) The problem is, over in Asia, where I am stationed, our bachelor's degree plans are very limited. In fact, a lot of the programs
I have available are online only, and I understand that Dental Schools do not like online courses. I have an opportunity to minor in biology in class while I am here, however
all in class majors do not cover biochemistry, chemistry nor physics, all which I will have to complete once I move back to the states.

(I am looking at the enlisted to officer option once I actually have completed my prerequisites, but I am not relying entirely on this option. )

My degree choices in class that I am looking at are business administration, psychology, sociology and art history; my online options include art and health services management. (I am allowed a one degree plan switch for my military tuition assistance while I am in.) From your experience, which degree would be most useful given my situation? I have to decide soon before my semester begins. I don't want to waste anymore time being out of school or studying the wrong material.

I appreciate all the help and insight!

Sincerely, Cordial Amoeba

There are several options for online science pre-requisite courses (e.g. biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics) from US schools. Based on what you have mentioned about your situation, you would be a good candidate for these online courses. I currently have a few students in my online chemistry and physics courses who are involved in military medicine. In the big picture, any negative stigma associated with taking online courses is insignificant compared to your prior work as a dental assistant. And thank you for your service to our country.

Ditto to the previous replies. You have to do whatever you can to get pre-reqs completed. If a school does not honor online courses considering your situation, that shows the school is not a good fit for you. I had to take a few online classes because I work full time during the day, and some classes I needed were not offered at night at nearby universities. The classes I took online did a decent job with virtual labs, and all the profs were great at answering questions in an expeditious manner. Also, just like TM, the online courses were not brought up during the interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk