Trying my best as MS1 at Graded Med School - How to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m an MS1 and just finished my first med school block (anatomy) with a B. Average was a 85 but I’m slightly below the average. I dont know if I’m doing well enough for the specialty I may be interested in (internal med, radiology, anesthesiology, opthamology).

I know not everyone is going to get A’s in med school but is a B an ok grade for the residencies I listed? I know opthamology may be more on the competitive side but Idk if it requires all AOA or something. I would appreciate any tips on improving study strategy or just more info on whether I’m on the right track.

My study strategy:
I’m more of a visual & writing learner
-going to lectures, writing notes
-compiling my own notes after lecture
-rewriting my notes/talking it out loud, making charts or diagrams to make info cohesive
-reviewing over the weekend

Didn’t use anki bc it felt like I didn’t get the whole picture; I like understanding the big picture first before memorizing specific details.

Members don't see this ad.

Others may disagree, but studying for anatomy was completely different than studying for systems. Even biochem, micro is different. Don't worry so much about changing how you studied anatomy, but focus on learning all the other subjects

As long as you pass anatomy, no one will care exactly how well you did relative to the rest of your class. While it's admirable to focus on the big picture, I still recommend using anki. A lot of times getting a question right will depend on remembering a small detail. Anki really does work for memory retention. If you feel pressed for time, consider skipping lecture and watching at home at a faster speed (or skipping them entirely if you find that B&B, etc cover the material).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see, thank you for the advice! My next block is biochem. Any advice for that?

I see, thank you for the advice! My next block is biochem. Any advice for that?
Anki is actually the only class so far that hasn't worked for me with biochem lol. Draw Draw Draw for biochem. This is coming from someone who despises having to draw things out for anatomy etc.

Hello everyone, I’m an MS1 and just finished my first med school block (anatomy) with a B. Average was a 85 but I’m slightly below the average. I dont know if I’m doing well enough for the specialty I may be interested in (internal med, radiology, anesthesiology, opthamology).

I know not everyone is going to get A’s in med school but is a B an ok grade for the residencies I listed? I know opthamology may be more on the competitive side but Idk if it requires all AOA or something. I would appreciate any tips on improving study strategy or just more info on whether I’m on the right track.

My study strategy:
-rewriting my notes/talking it out loud, making charts or diagrams to make info cohesive

Didn’t use anki bc it felt like I didn’t get the whole picture; I like understanding the big picture first before memorizing specific details.
Read this:

ophthalmology might get upset with you for misspelling it but the others are fine. All joking aside, just do your best. if 85 is your best, you are doing all you can and it will be enough. If you feel like you are slacking and can do better, then work a little harder. Maybe get some help from the academic office to see if they can help you find a better study style. All the things you listed do not require you to be at the top of the class except for ophthalmology. They like AOA. The rest will only limit which institution you want to go to. Might not get to the top 10 but you can match to lots of great academic programs. However, step will play a much bigger role in that. So just do your best and try to limit SDN time (as I tell you this I am wasting my time on SDN, but do as I say and not as I do)

My study strategy:

Your STEP1 score will either open or close doors for residency not what grade you got in your anatomy class.

Reactions: 1 user