trout: secondary apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Dr. Henderson,
I'm filling out my secondary apps now. Any
pointers? I got about 15 back ( I know,I know
they almost all send one out, but I'm a bit
elated...)

Thanks,

flyfisher

Members don't see this ad.

Customize each personal statement to that school. Read about the school either on the Internet or in the literature they send, and taylor your essay to that school!
Don't tell any school they are your top choice, but don't let any school know they are a back-up either!

Other than that, just answer the questions honestly with a positive spin on each one!

Dear Dr. Henderson,

if that school truly was your first choice and you're certain you'd go there if accepted, is it still not a good idea to write this in the secondary essay?

[This message has been edited by Pepper (edited August 24, 1999).]

I would be very enthusiastic, sounding excited and happy to go there? But I would question the wisdom of stating that a school is your first choice. Things can always change and admission committees may look at this a credibility issue. I don't think it would be a disaster to say so if you really wanted to go somewhere and you were absolutely sure it was your first choice. It is just my opinion that I would take any statement like "this is my first choice" with a grain of salt if I were reading the application.

If you've already done this on a secondary (as I sense you may have from the question) don't sweat it. If it's the truth, then it is no big deal!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net

[This message has been edited by medicalstudent.net (edited August 24, 1999).]