Troubles as Club Exec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I am in sort of a dilemma right now with a club at my college.

At the beginning of this school year, I took it upon myself to launch a new organization/club at my school in a topic I am passionate about (*not to check that box on my application*), with the hopes of providing an avenue for students to become more informed about this topic.

(I am not going into specifics for privacy reasons).

I assembled an executive team with others who were also interested in this topic, and everybody seemed to be excited to be working on this project together. We held meetings to outline what everyone's responsibilities would be throughout the year and our expectations. When it came time to spread the word about our first event, I found myself having to constantly baby the higher-ranking execs around so that they would do their part in attracting students. I was constantly sending reminders to talk to person X and person Y about booking, etc. and a lot of the time I would not even get responses. Eventually, I managed to find out that those execs were saying our club would flop behind my back. This lead me to question whether they are really doing this because they are interested in it, or if they just want it as something to put on their resume.

I want to stress that during this time, I picked up a lot of the slack for my exec team, taking time out of my own duties to finish theirs, on top of taking time out of my studies. I have been very patient with the team, as I understand that people have lives and obligations of their own, but I am worried that keeping those few execs (who initially expressed the most interest in the club) that were slacking off will only serve to deteriorate the team as a whole, and it will deter us from growing enough to hold larger and more exciting events.

My biggest concern right now is how I should go about addressing this issue. These people have become my friends throughout the year, and it would feel awkward to tell them I know about how they really feel. But at the same time, I don't see this club going far with people who have a bad attitude towards reaching the desired goals.

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Once fired a good friend in similar circumstances, turned out to be a fantastic decision.