Trouble understanding procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THE FUROR

feel the furor...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow colleagues! I have a little bit of a concern and would appreciate if residents and attending physicians could answer my question.
I am a latinamerican who matched recently in ENT in my home country, will be starting residency soon and I am studying some ENT basic topics already in order to be a competent resident, I have been using Ballenger's but have some problems understanding procedures, mostly ear surgeries (lateral tympanoplasty for example), it's just kinda hard for me to figure out how things are done exactly and thinking about the anatomy in a surgical manner.
Is there a better book that will help me understand this procedures? Perhaps a surgical atlas? Or is it normal to feel lost when you read on them and you get to fully understand them when you scrub for surgery repeatedly?

Thanks in advance and greeting from Chile :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

You are experiencing a normal feeling. Otology, IMHO, is particularly difficult to understand until you actually see some of the operations. It would be rare that you would be doing anything advanced until you have done a temporal bone course (or two) and have assisted on a few operations.

At this point, I wouldn't focus so much on the actual operations, but more on what an ENT does in clinic and the actual indications for an operation vs clinical management. Initial operations for a first year resident would be tubes, tonsils, septoplasties, LN biopsies, basic sinus, assisting in other H&N, easier tympanoplasties, etc. You can read up on these prior to actually doing the case (the night before), since it will stick better.

I used Janfaza for anatomy, and would go to the major texts for details of the operations. Once you get in years 2+. you'll know what texts your Attendings prefer for their technique and can move to the subspecialty texts.

Thanks very much for your input Leforte. Im studying very hard about the more clinical aspects of ENT and indications for surgery and certainly hope to master the procedures. I have to say Im very very thrilled about starting residency in this great field