Trouble getting LORs from professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverlearner02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Is anyone else having trouble getting rec letters as a non trad?
I have exceptional letters from a doctor I shadowed, a doctor i shadowed and worked on a project with, my boss at work who is a doctor, and my boss at work for my second job. BUT i only have 1 solid letter from a science prof.
I'm trying to get 2 science professors but struggling since I finished my post bac a year ago and honestly i wasn't an exceptional student in most of my classes. Did well, but nothing outstanding. I could ask an exercise science professor I did research with 3 years ago in undergrad but i havent talked to him since and dont know if that'd be dumb

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Is anyone else having trouble getting rec letters as a non trad?
I have exceptional letters from a doctor I shadowed, a doctor i shadowed and worked on a project with, my boss at work who is a doctor, and my boss at work for my second job. BUT i only have 1 solid letter from a science prof.
I'm trying to get 2 science professors but struggling since I finished my post bac a year ago and honestly i wasn't an exceptional student in most of my classes. Did well, but nothing outstanding. I could ask an exercise science professor I did research with 3 years ago in undergrad but i havent talked to him since and dont know if that'd be dumb

You really do need to have another LOR from a science (biology, chemistry, math, physics) professor. It will make your life a lot easier. Make sure you know what your target schools are looking for and if they allow letter substitutions for nontrads - you might be ok with just 1 science LOR at some schools, but others aren’t as flexible.

I recommend contacting the science professors in whose classes you did the best, reminding them of who you are and when you took their class. Ask if they’re willing to meet to discuss a possible medical school LOR. If they say yes, you’ll have an opportunity to give them your “why medicine?” talk and see if they’ll be willing to write you a positive recommendation letter. If someone says yes, you can at least tick that checkbox.

The exercise science professor letter should be a last resort if you truly can’t secure a letter from a BCPM professor.