Tri's Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triangulation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After two weeks of 2nd semester of Pharm school at SC, I've decided that the most handy undergrad major, which I wasn't but took hella classes for, is physiology. that seems to be the most helpful in all of my classes (even our p-chem course.)

Sorry, i no longer have much time to post (I know you're all mired in much sadness over this fact but school's getting busier than a one-legged man in an @ss kickin contest!!)

Am I making the right decision? Please respond it the form: "Yes, you are indeed right Triangulation...blah, blah."

OR

"No, you are indeed wrong Triangulation...blah, blah."

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are indeed right, Triangulation.

I'm in my 2nd semester of pathophysiology. During undergrad I took invertebrate anatomy, vertebrate anatomy and human A&P. I wish I would have taken animal physiology as an elective last year.

They are teaching me stuff that I didn't know about. Lots of detail, but the class rocks. We're going to need to remember it all too for pharmacology next year.

So based on that, of the following 5 choices, which would you take, if you had to do it all over again?

Anatomy and Physiology I and Anatomy and Physiology II with labs
BSC #085, #085L and BSC #086, #086L (8 credits) or
BSC #093, #093L and BSC #094, #094L (8 credits)

OR
Human Anatomy and Human Physiology with labs
PET #320 and PET #350 (8 credits) or

ZOO #733 and PCB #703 (8 credits) or

OR
Functional Vertebrate Anatomy and Animal Physiology with labs
ZOO #713C and PCB#723 (9 credits)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...I usually thought BioChem and O-Chem are most critical! Thanks for such useful info so we can prepare ahead :clap:

Material that utilized OChem and Biochem principles came and went with my first year courses. This year it's pretty much all physiology...pathophysiology of disease states, and the therapeutics used to treat those disease states.

I was thinking that when I did the "Therapeutic Disease State Management: Nephrology" course earlier this year, had I paid more attention to all that stuff I learned about "Loop of Henle" years ago in physiology class, I may have had an easier time of it. ;)

Originally posted by jemc2000
So based on that, of the following 5 choices, which would you take, if you had to do it all over again?

Anatomy & Physiology I & II is all you'll be able to take at a community college. My class was a joke, but I had a good teacher for lab. She was a cardiac surgeon who just retired.

I'm not sure those PET classes exist anymore.

I learned more in my vertebrate class at St. Leo. I loved my professor and there was only 15 students in my class. We did a lot of dissecting of different species and you could see and understand evolutionary changes. I learn better with a "hands on" approach.

I didn't take Animal Phys because I ran out of time. I wanted to leave for pharm school rather than stay at school for another semester.

Just take A & P, but do it right before you graduate so it's still fresh.

I understand that a BS prepares you more than an AA, but is there really that big of a difference in whether I take my prereqs at Polk Community or USF? If it could make a difference of me being admitted or not, I can switch over, I still have a year of prereqs. It just means a lot more traveling (USF is one hour each way) and of course would cost more. What do you think?

It doesn't make any difference to the admissions committee. I did notice that the people with an AA from a community college had a harder time than those with an AA from a 4-year school. It's not that they did poorly, but they had to study hard to make a C in classes that other students made an A or a B. I'm not sure about Polk, but SPC and HCC tend to spoon feed their students.

Originally posted by jemc2000
I understand that a BS prepares you more than an AA, but is there really that big of a difference in whether I take my prereqs at Polk Community or USF? If it could make a difference of me being admitted or not, I can switch over, I still have a year of prereqs. It just means a lot more traveling (USF is one hour each way) and of course would cost more. What do you think?

I just graduated from USF and I must say that A&P w/ lab was very intense there. I learned so much (and I also commuted from Lakeland). I commuted for a year and half and it was well worth it. I learned so much from that class, if I were you I would try to take it as a transient student, the lab is intense and will definately help if you put your time in. The professor who teaches the class (Dr. Goldberg) is not easy but thorough. I had her for 4 classes and really enjoyed her teaching style. Good luck with whatever you do!

~Pam

I am currently in A and P 2 at USF. I didn't sign up in time last semester, so I took A and P 1 at HCC. We had our first test a couple days ago for AP2. It seemed to me that USF had better professor, but at HCC you actually needed to know more. Whereas at USF the professor hits the important points and doesn't worry all that much about the details, the HCC professor went through everything in the chapter. And since he went over it, we had to know it. However, the lab at USF is much, much better. That's how it I see it...

I just got off the phone with UF Advising, and she told me that whether I have an AA from a community or a degree from a 4-year, it does not matter at all for admissions. She said that some students feel that a 4year prepares you better, but that is an individual and personal thing. So my plan is going to be to complete my pre-reqs at PCC, and then take Microbiology and Biochemistry at USF. This, of course, is assuming I can get the classes I need within the time frame of applying to UF in the fall.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Going back to Triangulation's post, just want to drop a line wishing you best luck! We'll all miss you here and do come back when you have some free time!

For those already in pharmacy school, I have a quick question.......other than OCHEM, BIOCHEM, PHYSIOLOGY, what other classes do you think is helpful for your pharmacy school classes?thanks in advance for input!;)

Molecular biology or genetics is extremely helpful to have. I use that stuff in a few classes. I'm really glad I majored in biology and not chemistry.

Really, Dana? I was thinking of picking up an extra chem class during the summer before admittance (assuming admittance, of course). I guess I better start studying the USF catalog and applying there. :(

I will be choosing between biochem and micro to take this summer. I'm already accepted for pharm school in the fall, but I want to take one last class before I begin. What's the best "bang for the buck" as far as prep for pharm school?

Look at the first year courses you will be taking? Do you take both biochemstry and microbiology? I took biochem last semester and have micro this semester. Biochem is 1,000 times harder than micro. It will help you more to take biochem before, but only if the school you are attending has biochem in their curriculum.

Originally posted by pharmel
I will be choosing between biochem and micro to take this summer. I'm already accepted for pharm school in the fall, but I want to take one last class before I begin. What's the best "bang for the buck" as far as prep for pharm school?

I've got you covered for micro, mel. I was a micro major, so I took general micro, pathogenic micro, human genetics, prokaryotic molecular genetics, virology, immunology, microbial physiology, and medical parasitology.

I took biochem, but got a C and didn't learn jack, bc the prof was ******ed. He taught us general chem all semester, didn't relate the chem to the bio at ALL, and flunked everyone with crap we had never seen before on the exams.:mad:

So you can help me with biochem, and I'll help you with micro.:D

Sounds good Karma! Glad for the heads up that biochem is tough dgroulx - we have a bunch of it our first year at MWU-Glendale. Even though biochem isn't a prereq, I want to go in with my head above water, instead of drowning the first day! Thanks for your advice! :)

Yeah, micro isn't gonna be that helpful in pharm school. It'll help w/you the micro course itself if you have one (we don't at sc), and for background on antibiotics, antivirals, etc, but as far as broad usage, i think it's on the low end of the scale.