Trick bio question on calcitonin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]28) If calcitonin were given to a person with hypercalcemia what effect would be predicted?

1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*]A return towards normal blood calcium levels
    [*]An increase in blood calcium levels
    [*]A decrease in blood calcium levels
    [*]There would be no effect

I put C. GS says it's A. I disagree, their explanation is homeostasis is the goal which I understand, but it does not seem like this will always bring a return to normal? But it will always bring a decrease in blood calcium levels. I feel like this question is wrong, and on the mcat C would be a better response. Anyone agree?

Members don't see this ad.

OP, like you said C and A are correct but the problem is like MedPR pointed out. They are testing to see if you know the effects of calcitonin and what hypercalcemia is. Another thing they test you on is the negative feedback system. If you choose C, YES, it will decrease calcium levels, but it doesn't answer the question completely. They want you to recognize that if the patient is hypercalcemic, then the doctor will prescribe calcitonin to get the calcium levels down to normal (negative feedback). If it decreases the calcium levels so low that the patient becomes hypocalcemic, then PTH will have to be given to increase the levels, or bring back to normal. In that case, you will keep going back and forth between calcitonin and PTH trying to get the patient's levels to normal. Therefore, A is the best answer of the two. It should be an easy question but they try to trick you up by giving you two correct choices and forcing you to choose the best. Choice A answers the question of what calcitonin does and how it does it. Choice C only answers what calcitonin does.