Tricare Coverage Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured some of you already out there would know the answer to this or would be able to let me know where I can find out.

I'm a HPSP medical student, and during the past year I've rapidly developed severe TMJ disorder. Unfortunately, my current school insurance (like most insurance companies nationwide) denies any and all coverage for TMJD, but I was wondering if Tricare covers anything.

Assuming I make it through the rest of school and go AD for residency, will I continue paying out of pocket for treatment or will Tricare pick up any of it. I've tried searching the Web but I can't seem to find a good answer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the double post. Computer locked up on me for a sec.

Well,
They do cover TMD, but honestly the amount the allocate to pay is so crappy that in my area there are NO docs who will take tricare for this. Apparently the going rate for a "good" device/mold/treatment and such is like 1,500 bucks and tricare is low balling local guys for 500 and none are taking it in my local area. If you are fortunate enough to be at a resident teaching/large medical center with orthodontics/oral surgery residents and such you may luck out and get this done and don't have to worry about it, but otherwise you may be out of luck... It appears like the people who really know how to make these TMD devices are in demand that they can get the going rate...

My 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx for the reply - I guess I'll hope that I'm at a large MTF where I can get some treatment. The state dental school near my medical school has a TMJ clinic but even a consult costs $250, so one can only guess how much treatment costs after that.

I figured as much concerning out of network treatment, considering the fact that Tricare lowballs just about everyone on just about everything. But it's not as if I would have been in much of a different situation if I were civilian. Very few insurance companies cover it, and very few states mandate TMJ coverage, so the majority of people who suffer with this are **** out of luck when it comes to treatment unless they can afford to pay out of pocket. And you're right, treatment is very expensive.

My hate for the AF, and the stress I was feeling manifested like that on me. You don't have to have a special mold made. I think you can buy generic ones that will prevent you from grinding your teeth while you sleep. A good trial of NSAIDS, and I think people are also using antidepressants for a short time. Please do not take this as medical advice, but as a guide only, and consult your dentist. With the mouth piece and NSAIDS I got over it fairly fast.

Good luck

jakab said:
I figured some of you already out there would know the answer to this or would be able to let me know where I can find out.

I'm a HPSP medical student, and during the past year I've rapidly developed severe TMJ disorder. Unfortunately, my current school insurance (like most insurance companies nationwide) denies any and all coverage for TMJD, but I was wondering if Tricare covers anything.

Assuming I make it through the rest of school and go AD for residency, will I continue paying out of pocket for treatment or will Tricare pick up any of it. I've tried searching the Web but I can't seem to find a good answer. Thanks!

The dental squadron will take care of you. I developed TMD while I was active duty due to an incorrectly sized bridge (made by a contract dentist who was fresh out of dental school) and they fitted me with a bite guard and set appointments almost weekly for me. When I separated, I got VA disability for it. So it won't be Tricare, it will be the base/post dentists. At least that's what happened for me. One thing I've found that helps a lot is to put Icy Hot on your jaw before you go to bed. Good luck, I know how painful TMD is.

Luba Licious hit it on the nail. In my previous life, I worked at the OMFS Department of Martin Army Hospital and we treated patients with TMJ problems on a frequent basis.

Luba Licious said:
The dental squadron will take care of you. I developed TMD while I was active duty due to an incorrectly sized bridge (made by a contract dentist who was fresh out of dental school) and they fitted me with a bite guard and set appointments almost weekly for me. When I separated, I got VA disability for it. So it won't be Tricare, it will be the base/post dentists. At least that's what happened for me. One thing I've found that helps a lot is to put Icy Hot on your jaw before you go to bed. Good luck, I know how painful TMD is.