Tri Spintec vs. Ortho Tri Cyclen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kings2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be the best to ask:

are these two forms of birth control the same? does tri spintec provide the same acne fighting ability as ortho tri cyclen? thanks!

kings2

Members don't see this ad.

kings2 said:
Thought you guys might be the best to ask:

are these two forms of birth control the same? does tri spintec provide the same acne fighting ability as ortho tri cyclen? thanks!

kings2

Ortho tri cyclin did the research to "show" that they were effective in fighting acne, none of the others have followed suit.
Both drugs have the same active ingredients so what do you think?

One attending told me that all OCPs provide some help with acne, but ortho tri cyclen is the one that capitalized on it....

:) kem

Members don't see this ad :)
kem said:
One attending told me that all OCPs provide some help with acne, but ortho tri cyclen is the one that capitalized on it....

Ortho Tricyclin has no more acne fighting "power" than Clearasil. It simply has the same hormonal regulation as any other birth control, which on occassion can help with the rare acne prone patient. However, the marketing people at Ortho should be given the equivilant of the the pharmaceutical Pulitzer because the wrote up a beautiful study to show "minor" improvement in acne through a study they did. This gave the the right to say, " Ortho-Tricyclin is the only birth control approved to control ance". It just shows how stupid some physicians actually are who believed this study, especially those that pass on this bad information to patients. THEY ALL WORK to help acne in a minor way!!!

I just decided to review how exactly OCPs help with acne, and thought some of you might be interested...

From Contraceptive Technology, 18th ed.
"Progestin inhibits LH release, which decreases ovarian androgen production. Estrogen increases hepatic production of sex hormone-binding globulin, which binds testosterone and other androgens in the women's circulation. Occasionally (<10%) of women will report worsening or new-onset of acne, oily skin, or hair growth. Consider other causes of androgen exposure (other medications, ovarian tumors, etc) If it appears her OC may be contributing to her problem, switch to a less androgenic formulation (eg Yasmin, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Desogen, Ovcon-35)"

kem said:
I just decided to review how exactly OCPs help with acne, and thought some of you might be interested...

From Contraceptive Technology, 18th ed.
"Progestin inhibits LH release, which decreases ovarian androgen production. Estrogen increases hepatic production of sex hormone-binding globulin, which binds testosterone and other androgens in the women's circulation. Occasionally (<10%) of women will report worsening or new-onset of acne, oily skin, or hair growth. Consider other causes of androgen exposure (other medications, ovarian tumors, etc) If it appears her OC may be contributing to her problem, switch to a less androgenic formulation (eg Yasmin, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Desogen, Ovcon-35)"

This pharmacy student doesn't buy that....When Ortho did the studies on it, it sure sounded like padding the indications field for their drug! I have to agree with PACtoDOC, even though he probably hates me for the mere fact I am a pharmacy student, that it is no better than clearisil. As far as rx drugs for acne (minus accutane), I do not see any of that junk being any better than otc medication. If the patient has real bad acne problems, it's probably best to go with accutane, if they are elgible for it.

Caverject, not trying to be inflammatory, but what exactly don't you agree with? The mechanism of action?

I agree with PACtoDOC, ALL birth control pills do help acne in a minor way. (Which is what physicians should be telling their patients, not only that Ortho-Tri-Cyclen does)

From personal experience, and experiences of my friends and patients, any hormonal contraceptive can help mild acne. (Acne which you would be unlikely to use a powerful drug like Accutane for anyways)

-kem

Caverject said:
This pharmacy student doesn't buy that....When Ortho did the studies on it, it sure sounded like padding the indications field for their drug! I have to agree with PACtoDOC, even though he probably hates me for the mere fact I am a pharmacy student, that it is no better than clearisil. As far as rx drugs for acne (minus accutane), I do not see any of that junk being any better than otc medication. If the patient has real bad acne problems, it's probably best to go with accutane, if they are elgible for it.
C

I just don't agree that pharmacists should be saying things like this. You cannot possibly be serious, or have the clinical background to know this. There are tons of intermediate treatments that work very well for acne.

Caverject said:
If the patient has real bad acne problems, it's probably best to go with accutane, if they are elgible for it.
Because of teratogenicity, you would have to put a (fertile) woman on birth control anyway for her to qualify for Accutane (isotretinoin, now available as a generic). There is a big difference between the severity of acne that each product is indicated for. Accutane may be more effective, but its use is strictly limited to people whose acne is severe and who are not at risk for suicide. It also costs an arm and a leg, even as a generic. To put a patient on Accutane, you pretty much want them to have failed everything else.

Mild to moderate acne is not rare. I agree that there are many intermediate treatments. But, that is beyond the scope of this thread.

There are two generics for Ortho Tri-Cyclen: Trinessa and Tri-Sprintec.

PACtoDOC said:
C

I just don't agree that pharmacists should be saying things like this. You cannot possibly be serious, or have the clinical background to know this. There are tons of intermediate treatments that work very well for acne.
There maybe "better" treatments for acne, but then you start looking at issues like price vs efficacy because anything that is by RX only is expensive unless your prescribing Doxy or TCN

PACtoDOC said:
C

When it comes to questions about any sort of medication...I would trust a pharmacist over a physician any day!!

PACtoDOC said:
C

In one of your previous posts you mentioned "stupid" doctors. I think you're one of those "stupid" doctors. Obviously, you have no idea how clinically orientated pharmacy school is. At our institution pharmacists and physicians work together towards positive health outcomes. In fact, most of our students do go on rounds with the staff. We are asked the same questions that residents are, except that they are more drug orientated. What makes you such an expert on medication? You take 1 pharmacology class in medical school. We, on the other hand, take three years worth. So, you have no right to be ignorant. Grow up