Tremor is that a problem for a ENT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KWTRCSI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellows

I hope things are going quite well for all of you

Long story short, I have done six months of locum trainng in ophthalmology, i left the speciality becuase i had mild tremor ( nervous? ) especially when performing fine movement such as doing an intravitreal injection at precisely 3.5 mm inferotemporal of corneal limbus.

Im really looking forward to join an ENT program, however im still worried that this problem may hunt me again!!

Is fine motor skills is really needed in ENT as much as in Ophthalmology ?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of microsurgery in ENT. Those little movements get pretty big under a microscope.

Everyone has a tremor. Learning proper technique and how to control the tremor is part of your training. ENT is probably second only to ophtho as far as the amount of microsurgery involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone has a tremor. Learning proper technique and how to control the tremor is part of your training. QUOTE]

So finger crossed i still have hope :thumbup:

Pleased to hear that

Thank you

The toughest maneuvers are controlling your tremor when your hands are free floating. Most of the time in the ear you can rest your hands on something. When you're suturing or dissecting along a nerve or doing something delicate, it's not uncommon to rest your hand on your assistant's hand (or vice versa). I think everyone does this at some point. I did work with a resident that drank way too much coffee, however. I asked him to stop drinking it, so he started taking a beta blocker. Nice.

The toughest maneuvers are controlling your tremor when your hands are free floating. Most of the time in the ear you can rest your hands on something. When you're suturing or dissecting along a nerve or doing something delicate, it's not uncommon to rest your hand on your assistant's hand (or vice versa). I think everyone does this at some point. I did work with a resident that drank way too much coffee, however. I asked him to stop drinking it, so he started taking a beta blocker. Nice.

Well i cant agree more, working with free floating hand makes it worse.
I am too kind of coffee addict ( 10-15 cups a day no kidding ). Trying to it cut down.

However im very reluctant on taking beta blockers or any sort of drugs (apart from caffeine/coffe :D) even last summer i sustained a severe knee trauma with meniscal and medial collateral ligament tear while canyoning i have not taken any pain killers

Appreciate it , thanx

i left the speciality becuase i had mild tremor ( nervous? ) especially when performing fine movement such as doing an intravitreal injection at precisely 3.5 mm inferotemporal of corneal limbus.
I am too kind of coffee addict ( 10-15 cups a day no kidding

----------

I would think that giving up caffeine before leaving Opthalmology would be the better choice. Quit cold turkey and cover the headaches with tylenol, etc. Bet your tremor will improve.

Or how many trips to the bathroom.

I would think that giving up caffeine before leaving Opthalmology would be the better choice. Quit cold turkey and cover the headaches with tylenol, etc. Bet your tremor will improve.

I can't imagine the LPR you must have...

Or how many trips to the bathroom.

Boy with countless visits to the toilet , i thought i had diabetes wasnt for normal blood glucose:laugh:

I got the message QUIT THE COFFEE and see.

Appreciate it

It's all about technique and confidence. Also helps to consume alcohol before your cases to "mask" your tremors.

Everyone has a tremor. Learning proper technique and how to control the tremor is part of your training. ENT is probably second only to ophtho as far as the amount of microsurgery involved.

I'd say ENT goes below Neurosurgery in terms of microsurgery.

Which fields of surgery rely the least on fine motor skills? Trauma or general? Just curious.

Which fields of surgery rely the least on fine motor skills? Trauma or general? Just curious.

I would guess burn surgery, seems like most of it is just wound debridement and skin grafting. (Caveat- I never did any burn rotations so I could be way off).

I wouldn't worry too much about learning motor skills. It's not that hard, you just need to repeat the movements X number of times until you know how to do them. Like any other skill, you're going to suck at first.

The hard part is learning how to stay out of trouble, who NOT to operate on, and dealing with unexpected events and anatomy.