Transportation on externship at UPenn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

space whale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm getting my 4th year externships all set up. I'm planning on a 2-week externship at the small animal hospital at UPenn in the ortho surgery department. I have housing all set up off-campus about 2 miles away downtown. I reached out the externship coordinator for parking information and they told me nobody - faculty, staff, students - has parking on campus. So how to y'all get around? I was told to expect ridiculously long hours on my rotation so I assumed having my own reliable transportation was required. But if there's no parking for me, how do UPenn students and staff get to the hospital? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hm, false. I don't know how students do it (many live close and walk), but house officers are given parking in a nearby garage. I wouldn't plan to drive, though, there's really no parking otherwise.

The trolley system is pretty great, and Uber can catch you on the days when your hours are too weird for comfort. Honestly, it might be worth seeking closer housing so you can walk/bike. West Philly is Best Philly. Any students who live in center city with options?

Not a vet student, but I lived in Center City while attending UPenn undergrad - it's VERY doable! Ryan is at 38th & Spruce, and was super accessible for me from around 20th & South. Honestly, you have to plan a little for those weird times, but I never had trouble getting public transit, the Penn Bus East, or an Uber from that area of campus back to my place. The 40 bus and the Market Frankford/Broad Street lines were my life saver, and now I commute easily via public transit from New Jersey for classes. Don't sweat it too hard, but plan for an occasional Uber/Lyft. If you have a parking spot in Center City DO NOT GIVE IT UP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, you stake that place out and hang onto it other than 9am-3pm Monday-Friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most students here live in West Philly and walk to school! I'd definitely recommend looking for housing in West Philly if you can. My friends who live in Center City take the trolley or SEPTA buses to Ryan and those are both pretty cheap and easy to navigate. If you absolutely have to drive (and can find parking in Center City wherever you're staying, which is a whole different ballgame), the streets around school have free street parking. Spots on these streets are usually pretty impossible to get during weekdays, but they tend to be mainly occupied by commuters, so if you're arriving early enough in the morning you may be able to snag one before they fill up for the day. They tend to clear out after 5 when people leave work.

Hello,

I saw this was the most current externship forum, and figured I would ask my questions here while you all are still available. Congrats on your fourth year and securing externships btw!! I was recently accepted to Tuskegee University College of Veterinary Medicine, and will begin classes in the Fall. I was speaking with one of my mentors, who graduated from Iowa, regarding externship opportunities, and she told me about a great one in Asheville, NC (NC is home for me) that tends to fill up pretty quickly, and recommended that I go ahead and apply in order to secure a spot. With that being said, me being only a first year haven't a clue as to when I would be eligible to participate in a surgical externship. Could you all let me know what usual timeline (approximate month) that students usually participate in externships? I know different schools may have different policies, but figured there would be similarities with the timeline. Just want to make sure that I do not jump the gun and sign up for too early of a time slot. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Janice