Transportation in the Lou

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have interviewed in St. Louis or know the area, what is the best way to get around? Do I need to rent a car? Is the Metro safe? Plan on taking a cab? Also, outside of the Wash U campus, what should I check out while I am down there?

Members don't see this ad.

hey tru,

I did research at Wash U SOM over the summer, and I found that the MetroLink is a great way to get around the city.

Coming from the airport to Wash U, you can either take a cab (for ~$30) or take the metrolink for $2.00 (the airports metrolink station was the most expensive station to buy tickets in the city....the Central West End station [wash u's] only costs 1.25)
You'll find that its cheap, reliable and safe way to get you all over the city. Just as a warning, its kinda risky to get on w/out a ticket....you can get busted!

The area around Wash U is called the central west end.....its kinda nice to walk around (weather permitting), but aside from the occasional drink, not much to do around there. I kinda noticed that there also seemed to be a large gay population around that area, not that there's anything wrong with that (just ta let you know)......i'm not a homophobe, so it didn't bother me too much.

Outside of Wash U, there's a lot to check out if you have spare time......lots of museums and Forrest Park are pretty cool.......i personally liked the botanical gardens (in the summer at least). The Loop is pretty cool too....it reminds me of the college town I come from. Check out The Hill for some damn good italian (but pricey) food........my favs were a couple of restaurants called Mangia (sp?) and Leonardo's LIttle Italy.

Good luck, and enjoy St. Louis!!!

don't take the metrolink late at night by yourself. and if you're walking around anywhere in or around st. louis at night, be aware of your surroundings.