Transplant Surgery in my Future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg.house1408

They call me House.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted before about some of my subspecialty interests; now, I have been accepted to a medical school and will begin the next chapter of the journey. For personal reasons, I really want to become a liver transplant surgeon (maybe some pancreatic or kidney also, though main focus is liver). I've looked into the top general surgery residencies/institutions for going into transplant fellowship, but I want to know how difficult it is to compete at the high levels with residents who may have been to better institutions for their training.
I realize I still have a while before this is a reality, but I want to put the goal in my mind and keep it front and center to focus me for doing well in my coursework and USMLE prep.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to become a liver transplant surgeon (maybe some pancreatic or kidney also, though main focus is liver). I've looked into the top general surgery residencies/institutions for going into transplant fellowship, but I want to know how difficult it is to compete at the high levels with residents who may have been to better institutions for their training. I realize I still have a while before this is a reality, but I want to put the goal in my mind and keep it front and center to focus me for doing well in my coursework and USMLE prep.
In terms of clinical competency and skill, those are usually determined by the residents themselves and not by their institution (e.g. natural aptitude, willingness to practice and work hard, etc.). So keep working hard and continue practicing as it's unlikely that your institution will be the main factor holding you back.

'Top programs' occasionally do produce piss-poor clinicians, and poorly-known programs can help train truly phenomenal physicians. On average, the 'better' programs may produce more competent individuals, but this association is likely explained by the caliber of students accepted to the 'top programs'.

If you are asking whether the prestige of your residency will help in securing a 'top' fellowship, I would argue that name does play a role, but you still need to be a great resident in order to be considered. Hope this helps and congrats on your acceptance(s). Transplant medicine is pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Transplant, to the best of my knowledge, is not a competitive fellowship after general surgery.

Reactions: 1 user
Since the only thing you have control over is YOU, there's really no point in worrying about the things you don't have control over.

People match everywhere from everywhere

Finally, as mention...transplant isn't most competitive subspec.

My rather rudimentary understanding (I work in a transplant lab with a liver transplant surgeon) is that it is not amazingly competitive, because it is such demanding speciality. The hours worked by a transplant attending (esp something like liver) are absurd. The raw number of hours is brutal, and because transplants come at random times (like new years eve at 3 am) the surgeons are almost always on call.

Reactions: 1 user
I've posted before about some of my subspecialty interests; now, I have been accepted to a medical school and will begin the next chapter of the journey...
Learn to walk before you worry about running. Do well in med school and see if you even have a liking and aptitude for surgery. Until you are interviewing for surgical spots it's really premature to think about what will set you up best for sub specializing. I mean if you ultimately decide you hate surgery, or only score 200 on your Step 1, why did we waste our time here? In third year, if you like surgery, get a mentor in the field and see what s/he advises. Before that it's kind of overthinking things and setting yourself up for disappointments.

Reactions: 2 users
I've posted before about some of my subspecialty interests; now, I have been accepted to a medical school and will begin the next chapter of the journey. For personal reasons, I really want to become a liver transplant surgeon (maybe some pancreatic or kidney also, though main focus is liver). I've looked into the top general surgery residencies/institutions for going into transplant fellowship, but I want to know how difficult it is to compete at the high levels with residents who may have been to better institutions for their training.
I realize I still have a while before this is a reality, but I want to put the goal in my mind and keep it front and center to focus me for doing well in my coursework and USMLE prep.
Thank you in advance.

Basically, do well in medical school, do well on your USMLE exams, do well in your clinical rotations, and match into the best general surgery program you can coming out of medical school. That's it!