translational research for HHMI Research Training Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

changeling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my days of lurking are over now that I'm in need of your expert but anonymous advice. I'm planning on applying for a HHMI Research Training fellowship for next year. I'm considering some projects that have R01 funding but are not really basic research. An example would be a project studying the feasibility of using FDG-PET-measured tumor response to treatment as a way of modifying the length of treatment (in humans). The program info here
says that that "the fellowship provides support for one year of
full-time research training in fundamental biomedical research" and then lists a bunch of basic science fields. Biomedical engineering and physiology are on the list; do you think that my project would be appropriate for these categories? I guess I just haven't heard of a lot of HHMI projects that don't involve either mice, genes, or protein function. Mostly mice.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you may have been scooped. Unless you're trying to extend the study some - more and different treatment regimens, etc.

From everything I've read and heard, HHMI supports only basic science (I may be wrong). Your idea would more be in the clinical realm because you'd be working with patients. If you have to get IRB approval, your project is clinical, not basic science.

Your best bet is to talk to someone at HHMI directly and ask them for a better idea of what they will fund via this program, and then look at the projects at your school that fit that mandate. Or, if this project already has funding, then just go with that, and drop HHMI.