Transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

Hi all. I'm still a junior doing my undergraduate work. I work at a hospital and have been fascinated with the anesthesiologists there. What does the full scope of their practice involve? I only see a little of what they do....so I'm curious.
Also, could somebody explain to me what a Transitional year is and how it is different...if it is different... from getting a residency spot in anesthesiology? If I do decide that this is the field for me, will I need to be well into the top half of my class in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is everybody pretty much oblivious to the questions I'm asking here? Isn't this the anesthesiology board?

Your question about a transitional year has been asked and answered multiple times in many other posts, which may be why people aren't answering it. Try doing a search using the term "transitional year" and you'll see what has been written.

As for anesth. residency -- it starts at PGY 2, so you have to get a PGY 1 spot, either (1) transitional, or (2) preliminary (in med or surg). You can try to Match for both PGY1 and 2 at the same time.