Transitional year Q..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KB_Xiii

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bear with me :p

I don't understand the transitional year concept :confused:

I mean do I apply to both trans, and rads together at once, or do I first apply to trans, and after a year apply for rads?
or can I do both to increase my chances of matching? :confused:

I'd appreciate any input ;)
ciao..

Members don't see this ad.

You have to apply for both at the same time, and interview for both in the same season. It sucks, but often you can take care of two interviews on a visit if the hospital interviewing you has both transitional/prelim and radiology programs. Speak to the individual programs about this.

ariwax

ariwax said:
You have to apply for both at the same time, and interview for both in the same season. It sucks, but often you can take care of two interviews on a visit if the hospital interviewing you has both transitional/prelim and radiology programs. Speak to the individual programs about this.

ariwax

From what I heard, TY are hard to match into because everyone going into RAD, GAS, etc. wants it. Is this true for TY across the country or just the coasts? How easy or hard is it to match into a TY program, say in Nebraska or Minnesota?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather got through an IM prelim instead to be honest..

I'd rather die before I go into peds or surg again!

Does anyone have any idea about programs that offer both? rads + prelim?

From what I heard, TY are hard to match into because everyone going into RAD, GAS, etc. wants it.

That's true. Open transitional year spots across the country were few and far between in this year's scramble, suggesting increased demand for these positions, precisely because they offer more variety and supposedly make you less of a peon than a prelim year in internal med. (Interestingly, prelim med spots were also relatively hard to get, though not so much as TY. By contrast, there were many, many surgical internships up for grabs - go figure.) But if you are a strong enough candidate to successfully match into rads, you probably have a decent chance at getting the TY you want.

As far as the categorical (PGY-1 to PGY-5) radiology programs with the integrated clinical year, they seem like a convenient option. Be advised that many standard advanced (PGY-2 to -5) rads residencies have symbiotic relationships with their IM depts, making it easy for you to slide into a prelim med year at the rads program you match to. I only know of a few categorical places, but check with auntminnie (or maybe scutwork.com) to learn more about particular programs you're interested in.

I am an IMG, and some programs require one year of US experience. Does that mean I cannot apply to these programs unless I have already completed the prelim/trans year?
or can I still apply mentioning that I will be doing it?

KB_Xiii said:
I am an IMG, and some programs require one year of US experience. Does that mean I cannot apply to these programs unless I have already completed the prelim/trans year?
or can I still apply mentioning that I will be doing it?

Not sure what you mean by that. All radiology programs require a PGY-1 year consisting of at least 9 months of clinical medicine done in the US. Some prelim programs are pickier than others about requiring 6 months to a year of previous clinical experience in the US, and those would be inaccessible to you if you don't meet their requirements. Is this what you're talking about?

Well I meant that some Radiology programs require the 1 year US clinical experience..
So IF i were to apply to both rads and trans together, will these programs take into consideration that I will be doing a year in the US? or should i be done with it by the time I apply?

Thanks alot you've been very helpful ariwax :)

If I understand you correctly, that condition is simply spelling out what the requirements are for any ACGME-accredited radiology program. I think that all you need to do is tell the programs that you are applying for a transitional or prelim year also, like most people do. Nothing unique about your IMG status in this requirement.