All Branch Topic (ABT) Transition to AD residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if those with experience can answer a few questions for a graduating HPSP student headed to an Active Duty residency this summer.

When can we expect orders for residency?

Was there a big lapse in starting residency and getting paid? Any advice on not getting lost in the transition and not end up missing a few pay periods? I graduate at the end of May and already got notification my HPSP benefits end June 1 and was told my orientation starts in early June so I shouldn't miss a single pay period if everything gets processed correctly.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The Army Air Corps and the Army proper run things a bit differently, but I had no trouble getting paid. When you show up to in-process, they will have you fill out all the necessary paperwork. I think (and this was a long time ago) a few of my co-interns might have missed a paycheck and then gotten the double beer money on the 15th. The big issue is to make sure they get your time in service/grade right (as appropriate), although that was less of an issue for HPSP than it was for USUHS students, if I recall.
Again, there have been many sleepless nights, a lot of alcohol, and a lot of new information crammed into my skull since then. It is possible that I'm remembering incorrectly.