Transition from IM to Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHDMD2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does salary work when moving from IM residency to cards fellowship? I'm sure there is an increase in pay, but how much. I'm not trying to start a war on salaries, just a general idea.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on where your cardiology fellowship is....
Most places with fellowships pay a graduated rate based on PGY year level. So at one your pay rate will be at a the PGY-4 level.
Some programs, such as inner city, or prestigous programs often started their PGY-1 grads at $36,000 and each year goes up around 2-3%, so a PGY-4 at this program would probably make around $41-43,000.
So, again this all depends on where your fellowship is, if you are staying right at the same place you are doing your residency at, you will make a slight increase, just as you received going from intern to 2nd year or 2nd year to third year.

Now what can make a difference is ability to moonlight...most programs allow this, my take on this is that it still does not pay enough to get me to do it..