Transferring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldude333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys... I recently got into IAUPR school of optometry and I don't know spanish at all. Is it possible to transfer out of IAUPR after completing a year or so.

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys... I recently got into IAUPR school of optometry and I don't know spanish at all. Is it possible to transfer out of IAUPR after completing a year or so.

I believe the tests and lecture is tested and taught in Spanish......someone might want to correct me on this......in any case...if it is, no offense but... why did you even bother applying there?

Considering their admissions criteria as compared to other school I believe it would be tough.

If you have great stats and didn't apply anywhere else it might be simplre.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beside IAUPR I applied to ICO, PCO, NECO, SCO and Nova. So far I have't heared from them and I am really expecting rejections from each one of them. My great weekness is my OAT, 310TT, 300AA, 2nd time:(. The reason I applied to IAUPR is just to be safe coz I really wanna do optometry.

there is a possibility that you can transfer out of IAUPR, but then you'd start out as a first year student at whichever school you transfer to. from what i hear, the quality of education at iaupr is a mess. i would improve my application and reapply to in-state schools. g'luck.

there is a possibility that you can transfer out of IAUPR, but then you'd start out as a first year student at whichever school you transfer to. from what i hear, the quality of education at iaupr is a mess. i would improve my application and reapply to in-state schools. g'luck.

I won't say the quality of education is a mess. There are issues but the last two yrs, students are pushing for a change to go with the new facility. The new optometry building just opened last fall and change is coming. There's a lot of pressure on administration to improve the school's board passing rate. See my post regarding this topic: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=282791 As far as transferring, there are old posts on this topic and just like pienfoo said, most likely you'll end up as a 1st yr. Depending on the school you're transferring to, they might accept some credits. I know one school in the US will only accept courses similar to theirs and if your grade is higher than a C. Acceptance to transfer is not automatic either. It can be done but there are a lot of factors.

Considering their admissions criteria as compared to other school I believe it would be tough.

If you have great stats and didn't apply anywhere else it might be simplre.

I believe this is the biggest factor for the low board scores. If you have low stats, is it a.) you goof off when you first started undergrad and thus the low GPA b.) you had family/personal issues/hardships that prevented you from showing your full potential c.) you're a non-traditional student that had to balance work, family, etc. or d.) you're just not blessed with the intelligence to get good grades.

All of the above reasons can be overcome if the student has the motivation, put in the time, effort, and diligence. A good portion of the top 33% of my class are students that belong to the reasons above. I expect us to pass the board the first time. I'm not going to lie but some fall under reason d.) and they're not putting in as much time as they should in studying and mostly likely the case for those who have taken and failed the boards.

I commend IAUPR for giving us the chance to pursue the profession we chose even if our stats is not good enough for other schools. For those that bashes IAUPR and look down both to the school and the students, please do not judge us. You don't know the circumstances why we are here.