transferring schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apollocreed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I'm an MSII at a school on the East Coast and I'm extremely interested in ENT. I am strongly considering transferring to a state school in the south at the conclusion of this semester. I've contacted the school and there is indeed a spot open and I think I would have a very good shot at getting the transfer. The school is in my state of permanent residence (where I grew up). I was accepted to this school in college, and they offered me their 2nd largest scholarship (probably in large part to convince me not to matriculate at a different school). However, I matriculated at a far more expensive east coast school with a more distinguished reputation (although not Harvard or Hopkins level distinguished).

I have many reasons for transferring back home (homesick, father had recent heart attack, possibility of saving ~$70,000 of tuition over the next 2 years). I really want to do an ENT residency in the south somewhere (although I will go wherever I can). Will transferring back to this state school help me in obtaining a residency in the South, since the program is located in that geographic region? The school I am at now is probably better known nationwide, but I have gotten the sense that regional bias can play a significant role in the match process. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I just commented a little on regionality in the last post but I will reiterate myself. Regional bias plays a huge role for interview selection. I did not get a single denial from the area that I applied to. I didn't apply to that many because I wanted to leave the region but only applied to solid programs that if I had to stay, I would because of the quality of the program. My success in applying to other regions was much less fruitful.

Also, programs that have a history with one another is extremely important. If they have taken medical students from your place in the past, chances are they like your school and will interview you. If they have never taken anyone, you probably are looking at an uphill battle.

With this said, I think it is highly institution dependent. Some programs don't care where you come from and look at only your objective stuff and base interviews that way. This is the way I thought it was going to be but some programs just like the name of where you come from. Just like it was for applying to medical school, it is the same for residency.

Despite regionality, if I were you, I would not move to the south solely for trying to get into an ENT program in the south. You will get the majority of interviews based on your scores and other measures. Moving to the south might only give you a handful more programs to interview. Bottomline, scores matter much more than region. The other reasons you mentioned are just as important if not more so in your decision to move. Saving $70,000 is a huge consideration.

Also, you have to be ready to explain to programs why you made the move. Being homesick, might not be the best answer. Trying to save $70,000 is a much more reasonable answer. However, telling them that the move was because you wanted to be at an institution with a stronger ENT department and better overall clinical training is probably the best answer. But no matter what you say, someone will think you moved because you didn't get along or some other disaster happened at your old school and might think of you as difficult to work with. You probably don't want to end up at an institution like this anyway, but I'm just saying, it could be like that.

Hope this helped. Good luck with your decision.