Transferring from one program to another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just started my critical care fellowship this past month and I am very unhappy with the lack of teaching & structure in the program. I did a subspecialty fellowship prior to this at an institute that valued teaching and its a huge culture shock for me. In addition, when we rotate in other ICUs - their census is about 25-30 and you are the only fellow available there with no supervision in the afternoon or evening(and no didactics). Some might say its too early to judge but its a culture that seems very pervasive here. I want to essentially transfer to another program but its not easy - I am looking for advice in navigating the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I just started my critical care fellowship this past month and I am very unhappy with the lack of teaching & structure in the program. I did a subspecialty fellowship prior to this at an institute that valued teaching and its a huge culture shock for me. In addition, when we rotate in other ICUs - their census is about 25-30 and you are the only fellow available there with no supervision in the afternoon or evening(and no didactics). Some might say its too early to judge but its a culture that seems very pervasive here. I want to essentially transfer to another program but its not easy - I am looking for advice in navigating the situation.

Not a good situation but your options are limited. Make the best of what you have and be thankful you have a spot.

Also it is a pandemic—this culture may have existed before the pandemic but icus everywhere are full with bad ratios all around. On the end you just need a board certification and experience, teach yourself if you have to but blowing up your spot is more likely to lead to no icu training in a more permanent sense.