MD Transferring??? Does this ever actually happen??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Longtime lurker in the pre-med forums and I am now here as a medical student. My question is regarding transferring....

Background: I had a successful application cycle (and I am forever grateful) and got in to several T20 schools and was offered competitive scholarships that made my decision extremely challenging. I chose to attend the school the furthest from home of all of my options, ultimately because I was a huge fan of their curriculum (1 year preclinical) and as someone who went to undergrad 30 miles from home, I was itching to get out of the area. I'm now six weeks in to medical school, and I am having major regrets about my decision. I am old enough and mature enough to know that it is probably just homesickness, but I seriously have a hard time focusing in class/when studying because I am so consumed by the idea that I made the wrong decision. This feeling has only gotten worse as time has gone by, even though everyone has said that these feelings would fade quickly. I've made friends here and passed my first exams so I don't have any complaints about that....it is truly just missing my family/friends back at home that is slowly eating me alive.

I'm not looking to jump to any rash decisions so early on in the transition...I just want to know do people ever transfer medical schools? In this hypothetical case, I would be considering transferring to a school that is technically lower ranked than my current institution (but still rather prestigious) and I was accepted there outright originally. I decided not to go to that school originally because it had a decently higher cost and I was less excited about their curriculum (2 year preclinical). I realize now that I may have prioritized the wrong factors in this decision. Their website says that they accept transfers, but I am just curious to know do people ever transfer for reasons like mine? If I continue to feel homesick and sad by the end of the first semester (or year) should I seriously consider this? Or should I just suck it up and deal with the consequences of my poor decision-making for the next 4 years?

Please keep comments positive and constructive. I am very aware that I am very fortunate in my current position to be a medical student at a fantastic program and my questions are purely for my information as I work through this phase.

Members don't see this ad.

It's extremely rare, and made even rarer at the pre-clinical level due to the differences in school curricula these days.
If it does happen, it would be after M2.

Reactions: 1 users
You’re homesick. It happens, but residency could be like that too. You’ll be alright in the long run. Don’t transfer it will only make things harder on ya

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. Just because you're in a "fortunate position" compared to some does not mean that you don't have the right to discuss this. I think that it's important to figure out a way to be maximally productive despite grappling with this, because even if the transfer would be possible (outside of my wheelhouse to answer the feasibility of that), it won't be until a break in curriculum, (as Goro said, likely going into M3). Are there any resources in terms of a counseling center that is available to you? It sounds like you could be going through a tough adjustment period that may resolve with time and talking (just because you are academically doing fine doesn't make it any less real). Another thing that comes to mind, is do you have a family that can kind of take you in? Perhaps an older student or a faculty advisor or mentor? For example, if there is a dinner at an advisor's house... go to it, try to develop connections. When I first went to college it was being able to eat with a family in a family setting every Sunday night that kept the homesickness at bay. Just some thoughts - I sincerely hope that it gets better for you so that you can reap the benefits of going to a top program. As a M4 that is about to hit submit on ERAS, trust me on this one. Your situation has a lot of value; let's figure out a way to make it work for you.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm Sorry , I think you are going to be there for 4 years. I also went very far away from home (Bay Area to fly over state in midwest, although not by choice). It was very hard the first couple of months but once you find a good group to hang out with and find your favorite places in your new town, things WILL get easier. Holiday weekends suck when everyone who can goes home but try to make friends with people from OOS. You will also have less time to be homesick during clinical years any way. No doubt though it still sucks being away from your family, I am anxious to get closer for residency (applying RN).

Don't worry though you should have no problem matching any region you want from a T20 school (assuming you don't pick Derm, Ortho, ENT, etc.)

Please PM me if you need more advice!

Sounds like culture shock... Especially if this is the first time you've really been away from home. Peak lows are usually around 6 wks and 3 mo.

As somebody who's moved *a lot* and gone through that feeling numerous times, I feel you. I know the feeling of wanting to run back. But you'll feel better in the long run if you stick it out. (And as other have said, you probably don't have a choice until after M2 anyway)
Spend time at the weeknds to talk to friends and family back home. But otherwise, work on cultivating relationships where you are.
Make a countdown calendar if you think it might help... X days until you can leave... Reminding yourself that something is temporary and taking it one day at a time helps a lot.
Also, go to your school's counseling center for sure. They can give you some tips on navigating thorough the process.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. I'm going to try my hardest to focus more energy into finding "home" here instead of wishing I were somewhere else.

Logistical question: since my current school is a 1yr preclinical, I would be doing my clinical rotations next year (M2).....I feel like it wouldn't be logical to switch after having already done that, especially since most schools do rotations during M3 and I don't think you can (or would want to) do rotations twice. I realize that I can't do 1 yr here and then transfer straight into rotations (typical M3) elsewhere...so does this mean that there is really no schedule compatibility for my transferring anyway?

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words. I'm going to try my hardest to focus more energy into finding "home" here instead of wishing I were somewhere else.

Logistical question: since my current school is a 1yr preclinical, I would be doing my clinical rotations next year (M2).....I feel like it wouldn't be logical to switch after having already done that, especially since most schools do rotations during M3 and I don't think you can (or would want to) do rotations twice. I realize that I can't do 1 yr here and then transfer straight into rotations (typical M3) elsewhere...so does this mean that there is really no schedule compatibility for my transferring anyway?

You might be able to do a bunch of rotations at or close to home... away rotations. Nonetheless, if you don’t transfer you’re gonna spend most of your time at your current location.

In the rare case in which it happens, you will need a compelling reason, the support of your Student Affairs Dean and a good Step1 score.
Into what state do you hope to transfer?

Last edited:
Hey OP...I'm an M2, and last year I found myself in basically the exact same situation as you; you can read my own freak out post if you want some solidarity: Away from home advice

I turned down a school a 10 minute drive from my home to move away and for the first few months of school, I walked around every day with this sinking feeling in my stomach that I made a terrible, wrong decision, so I 100% understand how you feel. It was hard for a few months, and the sadness clouded my judgement; once second semester rolled around, I felt a lot better and was more adjusted, and now I know that coming out here was the best decision for me and my education. I know it sucks, but stick it out-- you chose to come to this school because you loved it, and it'll be worth it in the end for that.

Hey OP...I'm an M2, and last year I found myself in basically the exact same situation as you; you can read my own freak out post if you want some solidarity: Away from home advice

I turned down a school a 10 minute drive from my home to move away and for the first few months of school, I walked around every day with this sinking feeling in my stomach that I made a terrible, wrong decision, so I 100% understand how you feel. It was hard for a few months, and the sadness clouded my judgement; once second semester rolled around, I felt a lot better and was more adjusted, and now I know that coming out here was the best decision for me and my education. I know it sucks, but stick it out-- you chose to come to this school because you loved it, and it'll be worth it in the end for that.
This was extremely helpful, thank you so much!! I'm working on it day by day and booked a trip home for a few weeks from now so I don't have to hold out until Thanksgiving.

In the rare case in which it happens, you will need a compelling reason, the support of your Student Affairs Dean and a good Step1 score.
Into what state do you hope to transfer?
It would be in the Midwest.....but the PMs I've gotten from others have seemed to imply that transferring to a 2yr preclinical from a 1yr is nearly impossible, so I'm probably gonna have to buckle in and ride out the roller coaster that is medical school away from home.

Reactions: 1 user
This was extremely helpful, thank you so much!! I'm working on it day by day and booked a trip home for a few weeks from now so I don't have to hold out until Thanksgiving.
Awesome, that's what I did as well...I took multiple trips home that first semester, it was just what I needed to feel okay. After that, I was okay with going longer periods away from home, but I still make an effort to go home around once every 2 months-- it's just what works for me. If you ever want more advice or to vent, you can PM me :)

Hi all, coming back to this post because I am still feeling as terrible and homesick as I was in September. I think that going home for the holidays honestly made it worse, because being at home just reminded with everything that I left behind and am missing out on now. I know that a career in medicine is a sacrifice of sorts, but I didn't expect to feel so removed from my family and friends after just a few months.

I feel like I've worked really really hard to lean in to my new home. I've made some great friends here, to whom I've confessed that I am homesick, but haven't fully elaborated on the degree to which this keeps me up at night. School is still going well, I scored above the class average on every assessment (but one) last semester and haven't gotten a score anywhere near the fail threshold. I've been to the student counseling center here and talked to a psychologist, but she assured me that my feelings were normal for transitioning to a new place. I'm no doctor, but I know enough to know that perpetually wishing I were somewhere else and living on the verge of tears is not healthy.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies for adjusting/distracting myself/feeling more at home/etc. Willing to try anything at this point because I can't imagine giving up on my dream of being a doctor but my unhappiness over the last couple of months has been so overwhelming that I sometimes debate dropping out and moving back home because the adjustment phase doesn't seem to be ending or improving.

Hi all, coming back to this post because I am still feeling as terrible and homesick as I was in September. I think that going home for the holidays honestly made it worse, because being at home just reminded with everything that I left behind and am missing out on now. I know that a career in medicine is a sacrifice of sorts, but I didn't expect to feel so removed from my family and friends after just a few months.

I feel like I've worked really really hard to lean in to my new home. I've made some great friends here, to whom I've confessed that I am homesick, but haven't fully elaborated on the degree to which this keeps me up at night. School is still going well, I scored above the class average on every assessment (but one) last semester and haven't gotten a score anywhere near the fail threshold. I've been to the student counseling center here and talked to a psychologist, but she assured me that my feelings were normal for transitioning to a new place. I'm no doctor, but I know enough to know that perpetually wishing I were somewhere else and living on the verge of tears is not healthy.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies for adjusting/distracting myself/feeling more at home/etc. Willing to try anything at this point because I can't imagine giving up on my dream of being a doctor but my unhappiness over the last couple of months has been so overwhelming that I sometimes debate dropping out and moving back home because the adjustment phase doesn't seem to be ending or improving.
Hey! Long visits home always make things worse, so I'm there with you. I'm a second year and I cried when I got back to school after being home this winter break. I honestly didn't feel better until close to the end of M1; now in M2, I cry for a bit when I get back but then I'm okay the next day. What makes me feel better is continuing to push forward with my end goal in mind-- hopefully matching back home. So, good job setting yourself up for success with your classes, especially on top of feeling sad! I understand feeling like it's hard to open up about the degree of homesickness that you're feeling, especially in a culture where it seems most people are pretty independent and happy to be away from home/family.

I agree with you that you shouldn't be constantly living in sadness at this point. Like I've said before, I debated dropping out multiple times in first year just so that I could go back home...but I was pretty much over those thoughts by the time second semester rolled around. It's good that you've made friends and are seeing a counselor. I would continue to spend time with friends so that you aren't just sitting around thinking about what you're missing out on at home. Also, perhaps open up to the counselor that you'd like some help with an actual solution to help you move forward rather than just being told that it's normal. Whenever I start to struggle with being away from home, I remind myself how hard it would be for me to go to med school near home, and how I probably wouldn't be doing as well if I had so many distractions around me. Otherwise...what exactly about home are you missing? Maybe try and find similar things to whatever those things are in your new city, or discover new things with your friends that will make you love the one you're in now! Only other advice is just to continue moving forwards with your end goal in mind-- you've made it through one semester! And you're in a one year preclinical, so you're almost there. A lot of schools give you a lot of freedom in your 4th year schedule, so you may be able to do a large chunk of it closer to your home (especially auditions for whatever specialty you decide on).

Make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Obviously not trying to make an armchair diagnosis but if your anxiety/depression is keeping you up at night then it may be prudent to start some pharmacologic therapy to help you with this.

Make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Obviously not trying to make an armchair diagnosis but if your anxiety/depression is keeping you up at night then it may be prudent to start some pharmacologic therapy to help you with this.
A talk with a therapist will teach coping skills too

I agree you should continue seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist to help you talk out your issues. Maybe write out your feelings.

Having said that, this is a great time for maturing and testing you as a person. We all feel a little bummed out after college. We lose a great support system and a familiar environment to something that's completely new. However, such is life. Keep in touch with your family and friends and plan on trips to see them. However, you should also see the new town as "home" (even though it's temporary). Explore the neighborhood. Find out some cool places in town. Learn about the locals. Enjoy it while you can because it'll be over before you know it. Best of luck to you.

*I also want to add I'm not sure if this is a case of mental issues vs. being homesick. Definitely recommend seeing a mental health professional.

The suggestion to see a psychiatrist is a good one. I'd also recommend going to your PCP/school health clinic, and getting your vitamin levels checked. Many people are chronically low on VitD and I know for me (and several classmates) that my peak lows also correspond to my worst episodes of depression. This may not be the case for you, but it's worth checking.

The adjustment period to moving away from home for the first time is different lengths for everyone, but past the 6 month mark you really should look for an underlying issue that may be exacerbating your emotions about it.

In addition, try to put your finger on what in particular you miss so much about home - your previous routine, the people, the food, etc - and find a way to fill that gap where you are.

Edit: also, your school counselor is correct in that these feelings are "typical" for someone transitioning to a new place. But just because something is typical, does not mean that it's wanted or helpful. Nausea with chemo is typical, but we still try to treat it.

OP, adjusting to medical school in itself is a HUGE adjustment. Throw in some homesickness and it's worse. I think your issues might be more than a little homesickness and am glad you are seeing professionals. You are 50% complete with pre clinical. It gets more interesting with each new section. Once in the clinics you will be moving around more and possibly able to rotate near home. According to your OP, you have only 1 yr preclinical so things will get better. Good luck and best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.