transfering from india to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boinger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i was wondering is it possible to transfer from an indian medschool to a US medschool ? i am a US citizen i came from there to study here and i was wondering is there any possible way to transfer there ?

Members don't see this ad.

its going to be incredibly tough...i hate to say that.

but most transfers into american schools happen between AAMC schools. However, most american med schools provide elective and research training to IMGs on an non-matriculated basis.

do you know where i can get some info or something on it ?

Members don't see this ad :)
what school are you looking at specifically attending over in the US?

no specific one just curious as to can

im willing to accept pretty much any =P

Boinger said:
no specific one just curious as to can

im willing to accept pretty much any =P

I looked into this at one point during my MBBS. I never did undergrad here. You need to have all the prerequisites to enter a US med school like the required undergrad classes, MCATs, and most will require step I scores. I remember GW did allow international transfers into either the second year (meaning you are repeating your second year classes) or the third year. There were also some problems with the Indian curriculum overlapping (immunology wrapped into micro vs two separate courses, same with genetics, embryo, no ethics courses (again wrapped into Forensics), etc. I gave up on the idea principally because I didn't have MCATs or all the requried prereqs (I don't think APs would count). Plus, I would have had to taken time off to study for USMLE step I, etc. My advice to you would be to find the few schools that do take IMG transfers and call them. See if they would even consider you. If you could pull it off, I would highly recommend it.

Yes see i suffer from the same issue i didnt do undergrad there so thats why i thought it would be difficult.. any idea where i could find out where i could find out what medschools take IMG transfers ?

Boinger said:
Yes see i suffer from the same issue i didnt do undergrad there so thats why i thought it would be difficult.. any idea where i could find out where i could find out what medschools take IMG transfers ?

I think you just have to go to the websites of the individual schools and look. Most probably state that you need to be transferring from a LCME-accredited school. The only one I can remember that allowed foreign transfers was GWU ... but I looked into this back in my II MBBS (1998 ... god I'm getting old). So I am way out of date on this stuff. I think that was the only school I found, but I just randomly picked schools to look at on the web. It's hard to research this kind of stuff from India, because you will have to call the schools for your particulars.

Yeah, you're gonna have to make some calls yourself in to these things. But you should keep at least one thing in mind, when looking to transfer into a US school, you would only be able to do this if there is an actual seat available in the suited year that you are trying to enter. There are times whne peopel leave school for personal reasons, which clears up spots, and this is when the international students can apply to enter. As to what schools do this moreso than others, I got no clue. Hope this helps.

ya i remember reading that somewhere i think it was ur post as well. thanks for the info ill def look into it. See i really needa be back in the US because i am working on a prototype comp as a side project =X which i know will take off once i market it but the problem is i dont have the resources to develop it in india ...

Boinger said:
ya i remember reading that somewhere i think it was ur post as well. thanks for the info ill def look into it. See i really needa be back in the US because i am working on a prototype comp as a side project =X which i know will take off once i market it but the problem is i dont have the resources to develop it in india ...
That really sounds interesting, but wouldn't one expect to find a lot of resources, ESPECIALLY in India? What part are you in at the moment?

currently in bangalore

especially for the kind of work i want to do resources for me def arent available here. if i was back home i could have it up and running in a few months =)

transfer to a caribbean med school like ross or SGU.. u do ur entire 3rd and 4rth yr clinical clerkships in the US