Transfer Student with Economics Major and other questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to begin my first semester of community college and I decided to chose economics because it is a passion of mine and also because it's a useful degree on its own. I'm taking four classes this semester.

I've extremely motivated to start premed on the best foot possible.

Now with the questions:
1) The community college I am set to go to has an excellent reputation and can transfer me to some UCs and other colleges in California. After two years should I transfer to UC Davis? However, I have more local less-prestigious colleges. Does it really matter how well-known and popular the place is where I got my bachelors?

2)
a) I've heard that I should not be taking most of my prereqs at the cc level, because it will sound like I am trying to take the easy way out. However I'm doing this for financial reasons. So can I just take a few of them at the CC and take the more rigorous ones at the four-year institution? Which ones in your opinion are permissible to take?

b) If I choose not to take my prereqs at community college, will this not put a huge burden on my junior and senior years? Especially with the plan of taking the MCAT during junior year....

-----------

In addition, I want to ensure I will have strong extra-curriculars. I've brainstormed a tentative plan, and I would like to hear some feedback. But I also don't want to overburden myself and neglect my grades, which I know is really the backbone of my application.

Clinical volunteering: Visiting at a local hospice four hours a week.
Non-clinical volunteering: Big Brother Big Sister Program three hours a week; facilitating discussions to help non-native English speakers at the library two hours a week; volunteering at a rabbit rescue four hours every other week.
Shadowing: Start off and shadow a general physician for a couple months and then shadow specialties for shorter periods of time.
Research: How do I even start research? Is it possible? Is there a guide I can read? Thank you.

Thank you for all of your time and patience. :) Hoping to hear your opinions....

Members don't see this ad.

As far as your major is concerned, you should pursue economics if that is the subject that really interests and excites you. Medical schools are not so much interested in your major as they are in a record of excellence, leadership, and a demonstrated interest in medicine (through volunteering, research, shadowing, etc.). With respect to the college you should attend, the quality of the institution matters to a degree. If UC Davis is superior to your local college, that may make a difference -- all else being equal. However, if you were to excel at your local college, you should still be able go far in medicine. Regarding the classes you should take, I see no problem with taking your prerequisite classes at community college, as long as you continue to challenge yourself and do well when you attend a four-year college. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as your major is concerned, you should pursue economics if that is the subject that really interests and excites you. Medical schools are not so much interested in your major as they are in a record of excellence, leadership, and a demonstrated interest in medicine (through volunteering, research, shadowing, etc.). With respect to the college you should attend, the quality of the institution matters to a degree. If UC Davis is superior to your local college, that may make a difference -- all else being equal. However, if you were to excel at your local college, you should still be able go far in medicine. Regarding the classes you should take, I see no problem with taking your prerequisite classes at community college, as long as you continue to challenge yourself and do well when you attend a four-year college. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.
Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever major you like. You can take courses at the CC and I wouldn't discourage you from starting the pre reqs because you'll lose time otherwise.

I'd recommend transferring to a UC if you can, will be better off than at a local college. This is important for "premed" but also for your Econ degree and real world job search if the premed thing doesn't pan out.

Your ECs are a good start, but I'd recommend against rabbit rescue as it sounds ridiculous, it's dinner in many places, and you should spend time with people not animals.

No easy to do research at a CC, if there's a local university you can try there.

Do whatever major you like. You can take courses at the CC and I wouldn't discourage you from starting the pre reqs because you'll lose time otherwise.

I'd recommend transferring to a UC if you can, will be better off than at a local college. This is important for "premed" but also for your Econ degree and real world job search if the premed thing doesn't pan out.

Your ECs are a good start, but I'd recommend against rabbit rescue as it sounds ridiculous, it's dinner in many places, and you should spend time with people not animals.

No easy to do research at a CC, if there's a local university you can try there.
Thanks for the advice. How would I go about asking to do research?

Also thanks for telling it to me straight about the rabbit rescue. After reconsideration I completely agree

My line of thinking now is that it could take me away from other more important parts of the application that I should worry about. Are you against volunteering w/ animals completely? How should I show my passion/individuality when it comes to app time?

If your community college has a premed advisor, I would talk to that advisor about researching in a lab. If not, I would visit your science professors during office hours to talk to them about research opportunities. At both community college and a four-year college, you can accomplish a lot if you work to get to know your professors and form a mentoring relationship. As far as volunteering at a rabbit rescue is concerned, I would continue to do it as long as that is where your heart is. Members of admissions committees have hearts too. I always tell people, if you were watching a movie about the applicant, would you like and root for them. If the answer is “yes”, the applicant is doing something right.

I think you should slow down with the ECs. You should get a firm footing academically and then start adding ECs. You have so much listed for your ECs I don’t know how you’d have time for studying. So pick one to start and go from there. You only need around 50 hours of shadowing so keep that in mind. I wouldn’t worry about research at this point unless you plan to go to a school that really values research. Instead of taking science prerequisite at the CC take gen ed requirements. And don’t worry about the MCAT at this stage. You only want one strong score and you just might not be ready at the end of junior year.