Transfer Med Schools After 2nd Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCMDwannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Has anyone transfered or attempted to transfer after their second year to a diff med school? If so, how was the process? any advise? Does anyone know which schools have a transfer program (specifically in California)?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This can be done, but is very difficult to do. It often depends on the availability of an opening in the class at the school you would be switching to (and this often depends on them losing a student). That being said, it is possible but I wouldnt bank on it.

trouta said:
This can be done, but is very difficult to do. It often depends on the availability of an opening in the class at the school you would be switching to (and this often depends on them losing a student). That being said, it is possible but I wouldnt bank on it.

I called a few schools in california and apparentlythere is a moratorium on transfers. I don't know the reasoning behind the desicion

Members don't see this ad :)
what seems like a cool change is actually a miserable experience (personal experience talking). i would try to enjoy what you got, even if your in the 'worse medical school in the country'.

USC typically has openings for transfers. The place is a real dump though in a crappy part of town. But even if it was UCSF, transferring is no cup of tea- prepare to add a large amount of stress to your life.

you also tend to need a pretty compellling reason for the transfer.

crys20 said:
you also tend to need a pretty compellling reason for the transfer.

I know one guy who transfered about 4 years ago after his second year, from one allo school to another (both on the east coast). It was b/c his fiannce was at the other school........

Yes, the one I knew was because his mother was diagnosed with lung cancer.