Transfer from university to community, chance for pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cotton Plushie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if I can transfer from a university to community college to go to a pharm school. I'm a freshman in college, and currently in week 4 of my university. Some of my peers said that I can complete pharm requirements at community college in 2 years. I wonder if I should withdraw now or wait until the semester is over, which is in week 10.

Will ANY pharm school accept me even if I transfer down as a freshman now?
Should I transfer now or wait until the semester is over (in December 2015)? I'm doing pretty okay in the class, in the Bs and As ranges.
Will ANY pharm school accept me if I take classes at community college?
I say ANY alot because I don't know how hard it is to get to a pharm school. I just hope that I have a chance at an acceptance.

The reason I transfer down is because of money and family problems, so I need to work part time as well to take care of them.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed all my requisites in community college then transferred to University for BS. The reason I am doing so because it was way cheaper. I didn't get any fiancial aid help :(
Keep in mind after you complete your requisites you, you might have to transfer to Uni for Bachelor. Most of pharmacy school require bachelor degree.

I completed all my requisites in community college then transferred to University for BS. The reason I am doing so because it was way cheaper. I didn't get any fiancial aid help :(
Keep in mind after you complete your requisites you, you might have to transfer to Uni for Bachelor. Most of pharmacy school require bachelor degree.
How is it cheaper? I thought we have to pay less in community college. I know that there are some that doesn't require bs, but do they only accept students who have bs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cotton Plushie,
I would advise you to stay at the University, especially if you are a freshman there. A myriad of PharmD programs require a Bachelor Degree, however some do not. Although there are some school that at this moment do not require BS from students eventually (within the next two to three years) they will. Is is possible to get accepted to a PharmD program with two years of community college? The answer is YES. Is it possible to get accepted to a PharmD program without a Bachelors Degree? The answer is YES. I have first hand experience. I am currently a junior in college and I decided to apply to pharmacy school this cycle just to see if I could beat the odds. I first applied early decision to a top 20 school, just to see. Within a month I received an interview invite. (I got deferred, which means they will relook at my application in February 2016 after I send them my fall 2015 transcript and my January pcat ) Then in October I received an interview invite to another school and today I was admitted! I only applied to two schools (the Pharmcas fee and supplementals are expensive). So it is possible to be admitted without a bachelor degree. The admission committee told me that they were very impressed with my experiences. Within two years of being at college I was able to be a teaching assistant, a research assistant, a tutor, hospital pharmacy technician and a scholar. All of this would not have been possible if I went to my local community college, because they do not have all the resources of my current college.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason I transfer down is because of money and family problems, so I need to work part time as well to take care of them.

I got my Bachelor's from university and went to work...Years later, I went to community college to retake necessary classes for pharmacy school. Got admitted and now working as pharmacist. So, anything is possible, even with classes from community college.

In tough times when you struggle family and money, please still try to keep your grade high because bad grade is stuck in your record! if you know you can not get B or A, withdraw from the class and take W, you will maintain GPA. When you take care of family problems, you may stumble and get bad grade, that's not the end of the world; some schools allow Academic Forgiveness like Roseman University, counting within 5 years only if you want to restart your life again. Some allow repeat and count the higher grade; look at each school, you will see some being a little easier because they are new schools...

About restarting life as a student, I have seen people in pharmacy school with:
54 years old, 1 kid, 1 house to pay, retired from Air Force.
Ex-soldiers, over 5 of them.
Ex-Register Nurses, over 5 of them.
Half the class was married with kids.
Some have kids in town that they take care of during school year.
We all aced National Exam and now work as pharmacists.

Some of my peers said that I can complete pharm requirements at community college in 2 years.
True.

I wonder if I should withdraw now or wait until the semester is over, which is in week 10.
To increase chance of acceptance, I still think you should get Bachelor's degree in anything.

Will ANY pharm school accept me even if I transfer down as a freshman now?
Yes.

Should I transfer now or wait until the semester is over (in December 2015)? I'm doing pretty okay in the class, in the Bs and As ranges.
To increase chance of acceptance, I still think you should get Bachelor's degree in anything.

Will ANY pharm school accept me if I take classes at community college?
Yes.

I say ANY alot because I don't know how hard it is to get to a pharm school. I just hope that I have a chance at an acceptance.
To increase chance of acceptance, I think you should get a job as pharmacy technician by studying at home for 1 week (or however long you like, you study at home) and take the national exam for technician (PTCB exam) at www.ptcb.org. (I just saved you 15,000 dollars from taking classes at Career College.)

(I studied in 1 week and passed; my pharmacy technician job gave them great impression in the interview and that increased the chance of being admitted into my pharmacy school.)

So, yes, pre-pharmacy classes from community college got me accepted with my Business Bachelor's degree. Hope that information helps you. See you out here soon.

It is possible. Some people in my class actually went to community colleges before the grading there usually is more lenient so they went to community college as a grade booster. That being said, not all schools will accept courses taken at community colleges, right off the top of my head I can think of one that actually required the science courses to be taken in a 4 year college.
With that being said, the best way to increase your chances of getting an interview is working in a pharmacy. One my 1st try I applied 9 and only got 1 interview which didn't work out since I couldn't get my drivers license. During the year off I had I did work as a pharmacy tech for a little over half a year and my next application cycle I got interviews in 8/9 of my applications and got into one of my main choices.

So I was at a university and did okay for my first semester in college. The next year was rough I ended up having to work not speaking to my family a lot of personal issues trying to provide on campus and did terrible my next semester gpa less than 1.0 next semester I rushed a sorority and was doing better then things went worse with my family and my grades went terrible again gpa less than 1.0 I got out on academic suspension. I failed classes both semesters only 2 being pre read for pharmacy school chem1 and biology 2 I passed biology 1 great. I transferred to a community college and did great the next semester gpa way over 3.0 I plan to take my pcat this summer as well as retake my chem 1 and biology 2 pre requisites here at the community college. I have been studying and am feeling very confident about my pcat. I want to apply for pharmacy school for the next fall upcoming school year since you only need your pre-read for admission. Should I stay at the community college or go back to a 4year? If I do good on my pcat and retake these 2 classes plus do good on the rest of my pre-read do I still have a chance?

So I was at a university and did okay for my first semester in college. The next year was rough I ended up having to work not speaking to my family a lot of personal issues trying to provide on campus and did terrible my next semester gpa less than 1.0 next semester I rushed a sorority and was doing better then things went worse with my family and my grades went terrible again gpa less than 1.0 I got out on academic suspension. I failed classes both semesters only 2 being pre read for pharmacy school chem1 and biology 2 I passed biology 1 great. I transferred to a community college and did great the next semester gpa way over 3.0 I plan to take my pcat this summer as well as retake my chem 1 and biology 2 pre requisites here at the community college. I have been studying and am feeling very confident about my pcat. I want to apply for pharmacy school for the next fall upcoming school year since you only need your pre-read for admission. Should I stay at the community college or go back to a 4year? If I do good on my pcat and retake these 2 classes plus do good on the rest of my pre-read do I still have a chance?

You still have a chance. Pharmacy school looks at the whole picture. If you overall GPA is over a 3.0 when you start your pharmcas you will have a chance. Also Pharmcas has a section where you can explain yourself to the schools you applied to. If you can get in to the 85th percentile for your PCAT you have a pretty good chance. It all depends what schools you apply to.

YES you can transfer. I did my prerequisites at a community college, I took 3 years just because I slacked my first year but I got in. Keep good grades and you will be fine.