This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mariiaria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My name is Marie and I just finished my first year of med school in Germany. I was born and raised in the US but spent the past few years living in Germany, so I decided to attend medical school here.

However I've recently decided that I want to return to the US in the near future, preferably as soon as I can. Does anyone have experience with transferring from a German university to a US pre-med program? Or is it possible to apply to a full rotations program in the States? I know coming back for residency is always an option but I would like to make the switch earlier if possible.

I would really appreciate any help, thanks in advance :)
Marie

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by US "premed program"? I doubt you can "transfer" per se. More likely you'll be applying to start the first year of college (or maybe med school, as applicable). If you can give a better sense of what stage of education you are hoping to get to that might get better responses.

You might need to do a four year college here as European "med school" tends to start right after high school and that's not how the system works here. Your "first year of med school" thus might be the functional equivalent of a science heavy college freshman year here in the states, meaning you'd have multiple years of college still to go before you could apply to what we call "med school" here, even if they let you place out of a lot, and you'll still have all the premed ECs, MCAT hurdles, etc. So I would caution that making the switch earlier, though a much easier road to becoming a US physician than trying to get a US residency as a foreign grad, might be 3-4 years longer.

But please clarify what you are asking. The systems are so different that there aren't natural "transfer" points.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Law2Doc, thanks for the answer. Yes, the German system means starting medical school straight out of high school. I've just finished my first two preclinical semesters. To specify, these are my questions:
1) Is it possible to apply or transfer to an American college and receive credit for the one (or then two, considering the application process takes one year) year I spent in medical school here?
2) Is it possible to transfer to a medical school in the US just for rotations after finishing medical school in Germany? (the full two years, not just away rotations)
I hope I was able to clarify. I'm still not exactly sure what options I have which is why my question earlier was a bit broad.

Hi Law2Doc, thanks for the answer. Yes, the German system means starting medical school straight out of high school. I've just finished my first two preclinical semesters. To specify, these are my questions:
1) Is it possible to apply or transfer to an American college and receive credit for the one (or then two, considering the application process takes one year) year I spent in medical school here?
2) Is it possible to transfer to a medical school in the US just for rotations after finishing medical school in Germany? (the full two years, not just away rotations)
I hope I was able to clarify. I'm still not exactly sure what options I have which is why my question earlier was a bit broad.
No you can't. You have to start afresh or transfer some college credits to a 4 year university here and then begin the journey from there. You can't transfer into a US medical school my dear. You'll have to complete all prereqs and sit for the MCAT then apply to US med school. Goodluck!