Transfer as a PGY-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm posting this for my friend; here's his situation:

He started his first year of Neuro residency this summer, after finishing his prelim year. Due to personal reasons (i.e. fiancee), he needs to transfer to another state. He wants to finish his first year of Neuro where he is, and then do his last 2 years of Neuro in his fiancee's state.

How should he go about looking for transfer spots?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Should he not tell his PD about desiring to transfer?

Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I have no direct experience with this issue...

To me, keeping the PD out of the loop seems like a HUGE mistake. I would talk to him/her early on in the process. For one, he will find out eventually, and might not appreciate that your friend has been sneaking around behind his back to make the arrangements. Academic neurology is a small world, no sense in making too many people angry if your friend is thinking about applying for fellowships in a couple of years. In any case, if the reason for the move truly is personal, it is hard to believe that the PD will object too much.

As to where to look for a spot, again the PD may be helpful... There used to be a list of open spots on the SFMatch webpage, but this has been removed given the move to the NRMP. There may be a new NRMP vacancy page, but I haven't seen it.

DocBrown said:
Hiya,

I'm posting this for my friend; here's his situation:

He started his first year of Neuro residency this summer, after finishing his prelim year. Due to personal reasons (i.e. fiancee), he needs to transfer to another state. He wants to finish his first year of Neuro where he is, and then do his last 2 years of Neuro in his fiancee's state.

How should he go about looking for transfer spots?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Should he not tell his PD about desiring to transfer?

Much thanks!

If he has a good relationship with the PD, it might help him to keep the PD in the loop

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!

My fiance and I are in a similar situation where he needs to transfer to a neurology program. He is currently a PGY1 in medicine though, not neurology.

Any advice?

Should he re-enter the match or are his chances better off for transferring or both?

Has anyone figured out where the List for unfilled spots for neuro from the 2006 match is posted yet? IT's not on the SF Match page anymore and they havne;t gotten back to me yet...

THANKS!!!!!