Tranferring from Pharmacy to Medicine in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

segaBOY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of science students transferring to medicine (after two years of science at Trinity I heard of a girl who transferred into 2nd yr med at UCD). I am a first yr pharmacy student at RCSI, does anyone know what are the possibilities of transferring into medicine at an Irish university and how should I go about doing it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of science students transferring to medicine (after two years of science at Trinity I heard of a girl who transferred into 2nd yr med at UCD). I am a first yr pharmacy student at RCSI, does anyone know what are the possibilities of transferring into medicine at an Irish university and how should I go about doing it?

Thanks

As far as I know you can only transfer if you had the points for medicine in the first place, otherwise everyone who missed medicine by five points would do science and transfer. In the situation above I imagine she had the points for medicine started in science decided medicine was what she really wanted and applied through the CAO for medicine and was accepted. As she already had done two years of science UCD exempted her from the 1st year of the 6 year course which is bio, chem and physics. You should contact the admissions officers at each of the colleges and discuss your situation with them.

Fair enough, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know you can only transfer if you had the points for medicine in the first place, otherwise everyone who missed medicine by five points would do science and transfer. In the situation above I imagine she had the points for medicine started in science decided medicine was what she really wanted and applied through the CAO for medicine and was accepted. As she already had done two years of science UCD exempted her from the 1st year of the 6 year course which is bio, chem and physics. You should contact the admissions officers at each of the colleges and discuss your situation with them.

Exactly. She was in my class, and she had the points. Incidentally, she's the tall blond in the series on RTE right now.

Thanks for that TraumaCheers and medgirl20, good to know how it works.