Training opportunities in grad school to prepare for internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDrANB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to enter my first year of my Clinical Psych PhD program and I am wondering if anyone has any resources or advice on what kinds of graduate school training experiences internship sites are going to be looking for so that I can be sure to take advantage of/seek out those kinds of experiences as the opportunities arise.

My research/clinical focus is child trauma, but I believe trying to narrow my interests that much for internship is not a good idea, so I plan to apply to general child-focused internships when the time comes. Is that understanding correct?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This question is actually too broad...internships aren't one-size-fits-all. Your program should have an idea of the kinds of sites people have matched at that are consistent with your training. You probably don't want to hear this, but it's a bit early to be thinking about internship programs when you haven't started the program yet. Do research, get clinical training you are interested in (and don't neglect assessment, which is particularly important for child folks but I'd argue valuable for adults as well) and use those experiences to help figure out what your passions really are.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your feedback. One less thing to worry about is never a bad thing!